• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rt to xr

skydog

I`m considering a buy on a 2016 S 1000 XR, I`m geting it at a price where I can have it lowered at a BMW DEALER and still have a fair deal. I`m 5`9.5 and 68 years young so the standard height is too dangerous and uncomfortable , i WOULD LIKE SOME FEEDBACK ON THE XR as far as comfort riding in the cold and wind protection as the RT was great for winter and low temps and keeping a good deal of rain off of me . I need a smaller and lighter bike in my golden years so the XR hopefully would fit my needs, probably have to add a touring windshield . I didn`t get much time on it when I test rode it a few years back ,I`m in Conn. so the the temp is from the 20`s up to 95 thanks again lads !

RT to XR

Well, I have both an RT and an XR.

For me, with the tweaks I made to the XR, it's actually more comfortable than my RT. The XR is not really pillion friendly though, so the RT is for our two-up touring.

With respect to the wind/rain protection, the XR clearly is not what the RT is. But the XR (as a whole) is not at all what the RT is. The XR is an old guy (I'm 52) sport bike. That thing is an absolute rocket that does not like poking around. It is so capable it makes me a MUCH faster rider than I should be. You think, it goes...

The XR is top heavy compared to the RT however. I'm 5'11" and lowered my XR using the soupy's links and dropped the front forks an inch or so. I did add the BMW high seat for less slide toward the tank which was key for me.

If speed it not your thing, maybe a lowered GS can work. But if you want to feel like a kid again (mind you that you can get too far over your skis pretty quickly), the XR IS the e-ticket ride.

Back