• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newbie needs advice

A Little late but my advice is to find the best deal you can on an already set up rig, or Ural. Jump in with both feet and learn the quirks of the sidecar life. If you love it, move up to bigger and better. If you hate it, you can sell and easily recoup your money. If you're like me and get bit hard by the bug, you might bankrupt your self with a fleet of them no time.

Asking for more, but different advice

I've been sidetracked for a couple of years but now am back looking for an established rig to buy.
My question, as silly as it may sound to others, since it appears whatever I buy will not be in my immediate area but several states away, would getting it delivered be a better (smarter) option than going there and driving it back?
I have zero sidecar experience. If it matters, I have 50-ish K miles on a solo bike and presently ride a R1200RT. There are no sidecar training classes around here that I've found. I have read the yellow book once or twice (impressive, I know).
I think I know the correct answer but it's been a desire of mine to go get a new-to-me motorcycle and ride it home, getting to know it on the way. An adventure if you will.
One last question: if I were to drive it home would taking the wife along be a great or stupid idea?
Thank you for your input.

I'm all for doing the fly and ride. If you take your time and stay off the highways you'll figure things out. You already know the basics from your reading so you understand what you're doing. As for taking the wife I think that depends on how patient she is and if she'll help if things go sideways. Live and learn!

My friend owns this rig and 2 Vincent hacks. He tells me we'll take it for a spin when I get back for a visit and I think he'll hold it for me to buy it down the road.
IMG_5254-XL.jpg

IMG_5252-XL.jpg

Pretty sure my missus won't be too happy as I just got a new to me R100 RS.:ha

There are two camps when it comes to this. The over cautious and the throw caution to the wind. Depends which one you sit in. I sit in the "throw caution to the wind camp" Riding or driving a rig for the first time can be daunting. Mainly because it is NOT a motorcycle any more. They can have certain quirks. That doesn't mean it can't be done, it just takes a certain amount of time to adjust. So take an extra day or two at the point where you pick it up the new rig and putter around the local back roads and parking lots. Learn the feel of the rig you have bought until you sort of know what to expect. Learn what it takes to fly the car and learn the comfortable limits of left hand turns. Once comfortable with both, head for home. Nothing like a good road trip to become one with a Sidecar.
Note -- If you sit in the Over cautious camp, trailer the damn thing, spend time at home in comfort to adjust to your new life. :)

I'm all for doing the fly and ride. If you take your time and stay off the highways you'll figure things out. You already know the basics from your reading so you understand what you're doing. As for taking the wife I think that depends on how patient she is and if she'll help if things go sideways. Live and learn!

My friend owns this rig and 2 Vincent hacks. He tells me we'll take it for a spin when I get back for a visit and I think he'll hold it for me to buy it down the road.
IMG_5254-XL.jpg

IMG_5252-XL.jpg

Pretty sure my missus won't be too happy as I just got a new to me R100 RS.:ha

Will you just hurry up and buy this damn thing. LOL.

I think that the fly and drive option is fraught with risk for a person who has never driven a sidecar rig. My first rig was an Airhead/Velorex combo. It was a good set up to learn on because it was rickety and funky.
My current rig is a Moto Guzzi/Motorvation combo. I bought it in Clinton Iowa and drove it home to Peoria Illinois. Leaving the sellers house, I wound up needing to make a left turn from a 1 way street. In the left lane of the 1 way, the crown of the road pavement was pulling me to the left. If I had no previous experience with a sidecar rig, I could have easily panicked crashed the thing.

I’m in the fly n drive camp, but with some caveats. There is a bit of poorly designed and constructed junk out there, and if you’re not familiar with sidecars or how they should handle you might become the not so proud owner of a money pit. Check out the “Fan of DMC” thread in the sidecar section of ADVRIDER for stories of purchases gone horribly wrong. (And DMC was considered a “reputable” company.)

I’d strongly suggest visiting a Ural dealer for a test drive so you get the feel of how a properly set up hack handles. I’m not a Ural fan as I don’t like being the slowest vehicle on the road, but they’ve come a long way the last few years in terms of quality.

You’ll find your experience on two wheels will not transfer to three. It’s a completely different animal. Speaking of animals, loud pipes are not in your dogs’ best interests.

If you drive it home your first stop should be a hardware store for 50-70# of sand. Ballast is a newbie’s friend.

And lastly, consider how you intend to use the rig before making your purchase. If just tooling around town with your dogs almost any rig will do. If your intent is long distance adventures you’ll need storage space for whatever gear (camping, fishing, photography, kibble, etc) and shelter from the elements for your canine navigators.

Pete

I may be mistaken but buying a rig some distance from home and riding it home is akin to sending your teenage kid downtown, driving a car for the first time; or buying a motorcycle and hopping on to ride cross country with zero training or experience.

I have had the occasion to drive sidecar rigs on two occasions, both as test rides after working on the bikes and rigs. The test drives involved a few laps up and down my 600 foot driveway, then a couple of laps up and down the mile long gravel road. Finally a two mile jaunt on the paved county road. This was all tenuous. Until you know what you are doing these things seem to have a mind of their own.

I might be a slow learner but ...

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you all for your input. It is appreciated. I, too, am a slow learner but I ain't too stoopid.
As much as I'd like the adventure of learning on the go I probably will just either trailer it or ship it to my house and learn things there.

I would trailer it home. A few years ago a friend who had been riding bikes for decades, got rid of his bike for a nicely setup hack. Unfortunately almost a year into his ownership he somehow (I didn’t ask how) he drove it into a ditch and totalled it. He went back to bikes.

As others have mentioned, driving one is not the same riding.

Sitting in the throw caution to the wind camp. I got the call that the rig was ready, I got a buddy to give me a ride the 80 miles to Brock's place.
Here is the first ride. Me as Monkey while Brock gives me some instruction.
712361D0-CE75-489C-B11E-4AC3CB77234C_1_105_c.jpeg
After a bit of practice off to home we headed. Took it easy. Can't say there weren't pucker moments as I acquired sidecar skills but never died LOL
I am certainly not a Pro and know all there is to know. I have learned, when piloting a Sidecar it is best to remain Humble and be open to learning new skills each and every ride.
Poor pictures, old tech phone camera, but gives me good memories
94F13A3B-5112-4DCC-BA5B-305AA7DF8A64_1_105_c.jpeg

Take care and above all else, Enjoy.

Back