Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: painting wheels R100S

painting wheels R100S

what paint did you use to restore cast wheels on airheads 78-84? Thanks

I didn't

I had my wheels powder coated silver. To be honest, if they are cleaned properly and you want to I would think any sort of good paint would work. St.

I used silver duplicolor wheel paint. I prepped them by cleaning with diluted simple green, light sanding and scotch bright pad to promote adherence, and then sprayed with duplicolor surface prep-spray. It's been three years and still looking good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Looks good

Hey Jim, the job you did looks as good as my powder coated wheels and I bet other than your time and elbow grease cost a lot less. LOL, I was too lazy to make the effort with my wheels. St.

thanks for your input guys. Duplicolor usually works for most applications

When I had to paint my 1984 R100RT wheels I used Wurth Silver Wheel Paint.
    Back then I bought it at a BMW motorcycle dealer.

https://www.autogeek.net/wurth-silver-paint.html

Paint.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I used Duplicolor silver metallic lacquer and got excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Hey Jim, the job you did looks as good as my powder coated wheels and I bet other than your time and elbow grease cost a lot less. LOL, I was too lazy to make the effort with my wheels. St.
    Thanks! For the semi-gloss finish on the RS' snowflakes, I'm happy with it. On my /7, I did have gloss black powder coat applied to the Lester mag wheels- the powder coat is thicker. Hard to tell from this photo, but the gloss finish is really pretty on those Lesters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jad01; 07-18-2021 at 04:35 PM.
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

thanks guys!

Wheel Paint

I had my wheels painted by ACE Cycle in Las Vegas (as seen on TV). They're no longer in business.

I'm not sure what paint they used, but Ace did complain about the primer. He said the aluminum soaked up the
    primer like a sponge. Apparently, they had to put multiple coats on. Just an FYI.

Wheel Paint.jpg.

I also had my lower fork tubes vapor blasted and clear powder-coated. It helps protect the tubes, and gives the
    tubes a nice natural appearance of silver paint w/o the maintenance of cleaning the raw aluminum all the time.

PS: I sure hate those inconvenient air valves!
    Last edited by nevadaslim; 07-20-2021 at 07:34 AM.

I've decided to go with wurth. Good durable paint with resistance to brake dust and oil/grease etc. I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Remember

I remember what a great custom painter said to me a long time ago, "Preparation done well and with a lot of effort makes the paint job and the painting easy". Good luck, it will turn out good. St.

What type is most resistant to chipping during tire changes?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paint Wheel Beads?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    What type is most resistant to chipping during tire changes?
    I was wondering the same, also wonder if it's a good idea to paint the beads and inner surface. It's hard to avoid scratching / scarring during tire change, especially with snowflakes. Seems like a paint chip on a bead may cause a slow leak.
    BMWMOA #24809

chipping

One of the things I have heard about paint versus powder coat is it is easier to repair scratches and chips in painted parts than in powder coated parts. It kinda makes sense as paint doesn't need as high a hat to cure nor does it need the electrostatic charge to be applied.

Still, a lot of people powder coat wheels, I did because frankly I was lazy and didn't want to spend the time properly prepping the wheels and I am one heck of a sloppy painter to boot, It was far easier to take the wheels to a powder coat shop, let them do the work and finish.

If there is a shop who does painting at a reasonable cost, I would have just as easily gone there. If it had been cheaper or same cost as powder coat and just as good a finished look, it would have made me think about which method in the long run is more durable and chip resistant? My unscientific knowledge of powder coat gives it the edge in chip resistance but as I say it is only my experience. St.