• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacement grips on newer R1250's

brian_pnw

Has anyone replaced the grips on a R1250 flavor BMW? I'm assuming they (RT, GS) are all the same.

I was able to change them on my 2009 K1300GT by carefully cutting them off with a razor blade, but not sure if the grip is actually glued or bonded to the newer heated sleeves or not.

I really like the Pro Grips over the stock grips on my 2021 R1250GS.

Has anyone replaced the grips on a R1250 flavor BMW? I'm assuming they (RT, GS) are all the same.

I was able to change them on my 2009 K1300GT by carefully cutting them off with a razor blade, but not sure if the grip is actually glued or bonded to the newer heated sleeves or not.

I really like the Pro Grips over the stock grips on my 2021 R1250GS.

What is it you don't like about the grips?

In my case, I always found them to be too small.
I enlarged them on both my 07RT and on my19RT using fishing rod handle heat shrink tubing (I added 3 layers to get the size I wanted)

YMMV

Picture from my 07, same thing on the 19

Heat Shrink Grip 3.jpg

I've had these on my RT since new:

Grip Puppies

Also put them on my wife's CTX ... they really do the trick on giving the grips a larger diameter without any adverse effects on heating when it's cold out.

I've used Grip Puppies on my bike before and I find the heat shrink tubing solution far superior. They are much more resistant . I had to change my grip puppies every two years and I never had to change the tubing.
You can adjust the thickness as you like by adding layers, heat transfer from the grip is better, they don't get soaked in the rain. Easy to install and remove if needed.

YMMV

Specifically, has anyone ever REMOVED the grips on a newer R1250 BMW?

I don't want to start cutting off the grips if they are permanently attached to the sleeve with the heating wire. The replacements are $175+ each side.

My 2009 K1300GT was pretty easy to remove the stock grips.

Thanks!

What is it you don't like about the grips?

In my case, I always found them to be too small.
I enlarged them on both my 07RT and on my19RT using fishing rod handle heat shrink tubing (I added 3 layers to get the size I wanted)

YMMV

Picture from my 07, same thing on the 19

View attachment 84505

Hi Daniel, what brand/style of fishing rod handle heat shrink are you using? A search of the WEB comes up with a lot of different brands and styles. I like the looks of the one you used.

Thanks, Johnny

I've used Grip Puppies on my bike before and I find the heat shrink tubing solution far superior. They are much more resistant . I had to change my grip puppies every two years
YMMV

I'm surprised yours only lasted two years. The ones on our bikes are 5.5 years old and show no signs of wear or cracking. 56,000 miles on mine and 53,000 miles on Debbie's.

I just installed 3 layers of 1.5" fishing rod heat shrink. I like the way they look vs the Grip Puppies. I have no idea about their longevity. I've used Grip Puppies and they seem to last a couple of years and look bad for the last year.

I just installed 3 layers of 1.5" fishing rod heat shrink. I like the way they look vs the Grip Puppies. I have no idea about their longevity. I've used Grip Puppies and they seem to last a couple of years and look bad for the last year.

Had them for a couple of years on my last bike.(maybe 3 ) never had to replace them and they didn't show any wear. 2nd year on my 1250

The puppies wear out way too fast and have an awkward seam.

Three years and 12,000 miles on my Grip Puppies. No seams either. Not sure where you got that!

Yeah I need to get on more miles, but I sold my other motorcycles so the RT is all I have. I have been splitting up my miles between my RT and Harley, plus my riding buddy moved and I haven't replaced him!

Back