Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Metal in the Oil Filter

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    Here is a YouTube video that looks at oil from various manufacturers' new bikes. The results were interesting -

Very interesting video.

SPP
    Member # 222067

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    This becomes a perfect application for a good Dimple magnetic engine oil drain plug.

Snarky comment Alert;
    A magnet works on everything from a single cylinder to a V what ever. Except for Aluminum shavings. Those show up in the filter. So check your magnet and your filter at least once a day after checking your tire pressure and final drive level.
    I'm sorry I can't help myself.
    Professionals have tried.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    Snarky comment Alert;
    A magnet works on everything from a single cylinder to a V what ever. Except for Aluminum shavings. Those show up in the filter. So check your magnet and your filter at least once a day after checking your tire pressure and final drive level.
    I'm sorry I can't help myself.
    Professionals have tried.
    True, but every day is overkill. Once a week is sufficient unless you hear clanking noises.

As an aside, if your bike is turning 6,000 rpm that is 100 revolutions per second. That is like a blender if foreign matter (like the head of a valve or somesuch) should happen to drop in. The carnage might be spectacular and you probably won't hear much of anything before the engine locks up. The noise would only last maybe a tenth of a second.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 07-17-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Oil flow

Ah there is lubricating oil pumped to the timing chain as well as other areas to lubricate things. like the valves rocker arms and such. The timing chain IS in the flow and so metal from it COULD get into the filter, if in fact it was coming apart or worn out.

I seriously doubt there is a major problem here, a few flakes wether steel or aluminum are in my mind nothing to get excited about. IF I pulled the filter and it was coated in metal flakes, I WOULD be very concerned. I have a magnetic plug on my oil pan and to be honest there is occasionally a bit of metal flake on it from time to time. Examination of my engine's main components this winter's major overhaul showed no major wear on the crank, or cam and as I have said, this is after 240K pause miles of treating it like a sport bike. The timing chain has been changed twice in that period but to be honest, I NEVER found excessive metal in the filter or pan during the period the chains were worn out. I did however notice the timing marks with a light getting a bit fuzzy, and a bit of rattling noise from time to time.

To be honest, I changed the timing chains because the mileage and use of the bike pointed toward it being a good thing to do as part of an overhaul. I can't complain, I got about 100K on each chain.

The tally for the rest of the bike's parts is my first major change to valves was at 35K, and that was due to the BMW valve recession problem. At 120K, I had to replace the nikasil cylinders and pistons. Due to the cost and availability of nikasil components, I had the cylinders bored out and sleeved with cast iron liners, bumped up the compression from 8.5 1 to 9.5 1. That combination has lasted now to the 240K mark, the rings are good, the cylinders are good, compression was good, so no rebuild just reassembly.

The crank, bearings, lifters are all stock, and in very good condition, hence no change out at this overhaul.

Surprisingly, during the first 120K miles when the piston rings went bad and the pistons started slapping the inside of the jugs, there was very little or almost no metal in the filter and removal of the oil pan showed very little as well.

OkAY, as I said, it is raining, I am bored, and this is a long post. This has been my experience with my bike. I also have friends with very high mileage bikes and they all pretty much have similar experiences with metal in filters. I guess I am lucky, or my routine maintenance pays off. I have only seen a couple of bikes come into my friend's shop with major metal particles in the oil filters and those bikes were heavily abused and neglected by previous owners then sold to a new guy. St.

Noise

Paul, I agree 100% with your comment about the engine locking up in a split second, and not giving a lot of warning. I agree it can happen and does but how often on airheads? My uncle was a flight engineer on B-29 based out of Tinian in WW2 and he told me some hair raising stories regarding the B 29' habit of eating valves while on missions. The engine would have a common valve failure, the valve would break go into the combustion chamber and cause all kinds of havoc. He once had an engine loose two complete cylinders and pistons, blown off by the damage. Surprisingly, there was little or no warning of impending valve failure. Oil pressure, head temperatures could all look great, then suddenly drop or change and bang, engine failure.

Now with the B 29, it was common knowledge and a known fact the design of the engine and such was faulty and Boeing made tremendous effort to fix the problem. I don't think BMW ever has had a similar problem, causing such catastrophic damage to an engine so quickly. You have a whole lot more miles accrued on airhead BMW bikes then I most likely ever will so I could guess perhaps you have had a sudden catastrophe with an engine. I know one other person who had 500K plus miles on his R90S that has an engine suck a valve and he took the valves out, and rode home on one cylinder from VA to NY.

LOL, we should be sitting around a table enjoying each other company with a beverage of choice rather than clacking away at a keyboard. Just think, how much clearer communication is when face to face. Have a great day, St.

Thanks

Thanks for the info and experience here. I have been riding my 78 /7 since new and very little filter metal issues. Saw the metal content of the gs, was and still a little alarmed.

Don't get me wrong

Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to say, ah, nothing is wrong, I am not there and I am afraid even if I were, I haven't the ability to see inside an engine while it is assembled and running. I can't say with 100% certainty you don't have a major problem but I think the odds are greatly in your favor not to have one. The next filter change will tell another tale and you can build on it. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to say, ah, nothing is wrong, I am not there and I am afraid even if I were, I haven't the ability to see inside an engine while it is assembled and running. I can't say with 100% certainty you don't have a major problem but I think the odds are greatly in your favor not to have one. The next filter change will tell another tale and you can build on it. St.
    No problem what so ever.....Going to drop the pan and see what I can see, more input the better.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I wonder if anyone ever cuts open a new filter and looks for random swarf that wuz leftover
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

A Update

Dropped pan from what can be seen cams and lifters look good ,smooth. No metal chunks in pan. Felt no back lash wile turning rotor by hand(don't know if that means anything) , once running and the timing marks hold still and not jumping up and down would that be a sign chain is in good shape ?

I am sure lots will disagree but I think what you found in the filter is normal. At 10K or so it could still be swarf from building the engine. Worry again in 6K more miles which is BMW's specified oil change interval, except for severe service.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am sure lots will disagree but I think what you found in the filter is normal. At 10K or so it could still be swarf from building the engine. Worry again in 6K more miles which is BMW's specified oil change interval, except for severe service.
    I did order a Dimple plug.I am feeling the same , still shocking when I saw it.