• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metal in the Oil Filter

Thanks

Thanks for the info and experience here. I have been riding my 78 /7 since new and very little filter metal issues. Saw the metal content of the gs, was and still a little alarmed.

Don't get me wrong

Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to say, ah, nothing is wrong, I am not there and I am afraid even if I were, I haven't the ability to see inside an engine while it is assembled and running. I can't say with 100% certainty you don't have a major problem but I think the odds are greatly in your favor not to have one. The next filter change will tell another tale and you can build on it. St.

Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to say, ah, nothing is wrong, I am not there and I am afraid even if I were, I haven't the ability to see inside an engine while it is assembled and running. I can't say with 100% certainty you don't have a major problem but I think the odds are greatly in your favor not to have one. The next filter change will tell another tale and you can build on it. St.
No problem what so ever.....Going to drop the pan and see what I can see, more input the better.

I wonder if anyone ever cuts open a new filter and looks for random swarf that wuz leftover :dunno
OM

A Update

Dropped pan from what can be seen cams and lifters look good ,smooth. No metal chunks in pan. Felt no back lash wile turning rotor by hand(don't know if that means anything) , once running and the timing marks hold still and not jumping up and down would that be a sign chain is in good shape ?

I am sure lots will disagree but I think what you found in the filter is normal. At 10K or so it could still be swarf from building the engine. Worry again in 6K more miles which is BMW's specified oil change interval, except for severe service.

I am sure lots will disagree but I think what you found in the filter is normal. At 10K or so it could still be swarf from building the engine. Worry again in 6K more miles which is BMW's specified oil change interval, except for severe service.
I did order a Dimple plug.I am feeling the same , still shocking when I saw it.

Back