• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K1300 GT miss

I have a 2010 K1300 GT. It went into dealer to get new tires installed, running fine otherwise. After the tires were installed the bike has a bad miss. I can’t think of anything during a tire change that would lead to this but otherwise it’s the worlds biggest coincidence. Is there anything mechanic could have done to result in this? Plug wire, o2 sensor, something with the computer? The bike was literally running perfectly before and afterwards I felt lucky to make it home. I picked it up at closing with no other way home, otherwise I would have left it. I believe they may also have reset computer for a false headlight warning light.

Last edited:
Check your wheel speed sensors, front and rear. Make sure they are properly spaced from the timing rings mounted on the wheels. Ensure the sensor wires are intact and unchafed.

Last edited:
Check your wheel speed sensors, front and rear. Make sure they are properly spaced from the timing rings mounted on the wheels. Ensure the sensor wires are intact and unchafed.

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that. I heard the bike start up in the garage after the tires were mounted and it sounded fine. It was only when he drove it around the shop and they reset the faulty headlight warning that the miss developed.

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that. I heard the bike start up in the garage after the tires were mounted and it sounded fine. It was only when he drove it around the shop and they reset the faulty headlight warning that the miss developed.

If the miss occurs when the bike isn't moving there's a different issue. I wouldn't think that resetting the headlight warning would cause this problem, and the wheel sensors is a bit of a long shot on my part, but I'm curious to know what the eventual solution turns out to be.

Well it all goes back to the question, " what was the last thing that was done to the bike before everything went to s**t?" Maybe someone operating the computer didn't know what they were doing and changed the wrong setting?

It’s possible that I’ve forgotten the #1 rule of diagnosing a problem - start simple. After languishing in the dealership for a month or so the best guess is a tank of bad gas. There are no fault codes or other obvious issues. The mechanic has occasionally taken it out and reports that it’s much improved though not yet normal. Fortunately it’s not my primary bike and only have about 2 hours of labor cost into it. I’m not totally convinced since in spite of having bought gas at some really sketchy places over the years, I’ve never actually had contaminated gas. The recommendation is to run a few tanks of gas at higher than normal revs. If that’s what it takes, I’m game!

The classic Italian Tune Up! Send video! :laugh

Also, try putting some gas-line anti-freeze in your tank to disperse any water which may be in there. I think a product like Heet does the same thing. https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/heet/

Yes, the red bottle in case there’s water in the system. Beyond that I think the OP needs to find out from the dealer exactly what was “reset” on the light error—“clear codes” only, or were other adjustments performed. And what error codes is the bike showing now?

Best,
DeVern

Back