• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Satellite emergency device

Years ago there was a multi-day search in the competitive long-distance rally community for a rider who ran off the road, crashed down a ravine, and expired in the accident. IIRC no tracking device was being used by the rider, and a track would certainly have helped the search. But if the rider hadn’t expired in the accident and was lying injured down that ravine, then it’s a sure bet he or she would have wanted LEOs, S&R, ASR, or the Air Cav to show up onsite. At that point, with a real emergency underway, one really doesn’t care about costs or inconveniences or who they inconvenience or piss off—it’s all about getting assistance within the “golden hour” if possible. And triggering an EPIRB/PLB for anything less than a life-threatening emergency is probably a sign of someone whose judgement is such that they shouldn’t be risking those sorts of situations in the first place. As stated earlier, tracking and emergency response are two separate things-they compliment each other, but neither one alone represents a full solution.

GPS isn’t fully reliable either, at least for us civilians. There is a zone between the Peel and Mackenzie rivers on the Dempster where gps can go wonky, dropping into night mode or being able to identify it’s location. Three of us on the ferry across the Mack were comparing notes on that, and a few km north of the crossing the gps units (1 Garmin, two BMW Navs) came back to life and proper function. I have no idea if that was a temporary occurrence or not, tho I note it happened traveling both ways. My point is that depending upon any single technology or device automatically incurs a higher level of risk that one needs to be aware of.

As for Spot, if one is using the Spotwalla site for tracking, battery condition is available to anyone watching the track just by clicking on a tracking point. Spot messaging is limited, but as an example can be configured to send OK messages (“Just checking in. If stopped I am getting food, fuel, or rest! Follow me at https://XXXXX”), requests for mechanical or other help (“ If you get this I have had a breakdown or problem. Please call/text ASAP XXX-XXX-XXX DeVern WGS84-decimal“) or safe messages (“ Just checking in, am safe at destination. Follow me at
https://XXXXXXX”). And, of course, the SOS button which does require physical activation just like any other such device being mentioned in this thread.

So again, if you want tracking get any of the common tracking technologies and use it faithfully. But if you want real emergency coverage and response, get a dedicated EPIRB/PLB device. Your loved ones will thank you.

There’s an older and longer thread on this at
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...ation-concerning-depending-on-SPOT-for-rescue

best,
DeVern

Back