• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Drum brake R+R question/issue

crouthier

Hi - on my R75/5 - took my front drum brake apart: cleaned and greased the cams (left the pads alone) and put it all back together with a new brake cable. I successfully adjusted it using a mix of Duane A and Brooks blog. Works great!

However, here's the question (issue): when I bounce the front end (before AND after I torqued the axel etc) I am getting creaking sound from the wheel with the brake applied. There is not much in there that could cause this knocking...should my cam + arm be tighter? Perhaps it's not adjusted correctly after all...

I didn't touch the forks (except to align the fork sliders so the axel would go in smoothly) - I also tested the front by applying the rear brake only and bouncing and didn't get a sound...

hmmmm. I can pull this apart in a few mins at this point but curious if anyone has experienced this.

thank you, Chuck

Last edited:
Is the stabilizing arm snugged up? This holds the backing plate in place...probably didn't do anything with that, though.

Hi Kurt, no - that's snugged up - I double checked all the things I took off - and I just tried it again now and it's not quite a knocking, more like a creaking or groaning. And if I apply the brakes super hard and push softer, it goes away a bit or doesn't make a sound - It really feels like the pads are not seating or are moving a touch. I didn't take the pads off, I can take it apart again to make sure everything is seated properly...

thanks Chuck

update solved

Hi, I took the hub off again just now and snugged up the rear cam and arm, and applied grease to the cam surface and one of the pads seemed to be slightly rubbing on the drum, and it's quiet now. However, I have to take it apart again as I also adjusted the rear arm TOO much, so I need to come back one tooth...to get back to correct space in the arms...

thanks, Chuck

Glad you figured it out. From what you describe, it does sound like the shoes were sliding in the drums, but once you really pulled on the lever, the sound went away.

Back