• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Additional Lighting on a 2018 R1200RT

motor10

I am thinking of adding additional lights on the front of my bike. Any suggestions on what type, and where to mount them? I do have a full set Wunderlich crash bars including the fairing protection bars. Maybe on the fairing bars? any suggestions and or cautions I should know about?

Jay

Clearwater Darla on 2018 RT

C4A8366D-3CEA-417F-A06A-21B9665D00A2.jpg

There are a lot of options and you have to decide how much you are willing to spend. I elected to install the Clearwater Darla mounted with their factory fork tube mounting brackets. You can also purchase the yellow filters which simply slip over the front of the lens and this dramatically increases conspicuity. The rheostat mounted on the handlebars allows adjustment of beam intensity. Granted, they are pricey. However, they have been reliable and effective. I highly recommend this option.

Lots of options. I bought a pair of Ridgid LED narrow beam driving lights and also bought amber snap on covers. The lights were $165, the amber covers were $12 each from Amazon. They come with a wiring harness, so I used it, but also bought a handle bar mounted on/off switch. I tied the power into the Powerlet circuit. Pulled the cover off the right hand side of the fairing to access the wires.

I get a lot of comments on how visable they are, but still get drivers that don't see them. They probably went to the Stevie Wonder driving school!

Clearwater Light Options

I concur w bjt's reply. I installed Clearwater Darlas but higher up at the below the mirror mount option. I also put on the yellow lens cover. Highly visible and versatile, controlled by the wonder wheel, loads of settings avail but I use always on high and pulse strobe on command with double click of bright switch or press of horn. 100% reliable and high quality, Clearwater after sale service and support are top notch too. I once borrowed my Darlas and installed on a rental RT for a trip. I forgot how to change settings. configure, called them on Christmas eve and got a response while out on the road. How's that for caring about customers ?

Also consider the Clearwater Billies for ultra bright de-ccel pulsing tail light.

visibility-predictability-longevity

+1 Darlas with yellow filters. I have them plugged into the Wonder Wheel, but in hindsight would’ve gone with a handlebar switch. Mounted on Touratech crash bars.

_B024645_Hood_Canal_sm.jpg

Two questions on these ,
Where and how did you mount them ?
Connected direct to the battery ?

Mike

I purchased the Clearwater Darla lights for nt 2016 R1200RT, placing them on the cylinder head guards so they would be wide and lower. That created a nice triangle with enhanced visibility (both for myself and others). The CanBUS (Canopener) was an enhancement that I clearly went with. It is still necessary to attach the lights to the battery. Clearwater had good instructions and decent videos are available. You will need to problem solve some on your own. I needed to be a little creative. There was no need to remove the gas tank for the wiring. With the panels removed, you'll discover the wiring to the rear of the bike can take place without gas tank removal. Take your time and think it through.

Back