Thread: Ah, Golden Retirement Years and Training Options

Ah, Golden Retirement Years and Training Options

After more than 45 years I have finally gotten to the point where I can punch out of the rat race and retire. My wife has preceded me in this and retired in early April of this year.... We have been planning fr this date for several years and have collected a traveling gear set up we can live with - Ram 2500 w/Cummins 6.7L and a NH Trailers 16 ft enclosed motorcycle trailer with 30 amp service, Honda gen sets, and A/C. Now i'd like to find some training on the maintenance of my beautiful Airheads. My current stable includes a 1978 Motorsport R 100 S, a 1983 R80ST Modified with a Siebenrock 1090 cylinder kit, and a 1994 R100 Mystic. I am thinking that I can get up to speed with my Airhead maintenance by leaning on Airheads here and YouTube videos. But if there was someone I could "intern" with that would be even better. Just a thought. Any ideas out there?
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML & 79 R100S & 83 R80ST
    2014 F700GS & 2020 R Nine T /5 & 2020 R1250R

Airheads.org

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    After more than 45 years I have finally gotten to the point where I can punch out of the rat race and retire. My wife has preceded me in this and retired in early April of this year.... We have been planning fr this date for several years and have collected a traveling gear set up we can live with - Ram 2500 w/Cummins 6.7L and a NH Trailers 16 ft enclosed motorcycle trailer with 30 amp service, Honda gen sets, and A/C. Now i'd like to find some training on the maintenance of my beautiful Airheads. My current stable includes a 1978 Motorsport R 100 S, a 1983 R80ST Modified with a Siebenrock 1090 cylinder kit, and a 1994 R100 Mystic. I am thinking that I can get up to speed with my Airhead maintenance by leaning on Airheads here and YouTube videos. But if there was someone I could "intern" with that would be even better. Just a thought. Any ideas out there?
    Hi, If you have not done so yet, it may be a good idea to join Airheads, and attend as many of their tech days/weekends, rallies and gatherings as possible. Lotsa experience, and excellent fellowship.
    Congrats on your retirement, I just retired 3 years ago, after about 50 years in two careers. Enjoy!
    Joe H
    BMWMOA #24809

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Congratulations!
    I would be interested in seeing a picture of the trailer…..if you could.
    Hope retirement is a long, happy on.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Happy Retirement

Congratulations on you and the wife's retirements!

The Airhead club is for the most part an excellent organization and they do host tech days from time to time.

There are people in the MOA the Vintage Club and the Airhead clubs who will be happy to help you out in all sorts of ways and we are now in the time of internet communication making connecting with people easier, finding service easier.

Not for nothing, if you find yourself in the Rochester NY, area, I have my little shop where I work on my bikes as well as a few friends bikes you are most welcome to stop by. I won't promise you expert help I am not a trained BMW airhead mechanic but I have worked a long time on them. I have enough common sense and know how to do what I can and defer to going to the professionals if need be.

I also know a shop nearby specializing in airhead repairs and restorations. I can't promise how much help you would get there as it is not my shop but, the owner is very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.

As to videos, Brook Reams, Boxer two Valve, both have excellent ones showing a huge amount of work they have done on airheads.

Well, enjoy your travels, St.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Congratulations!
    I would be interested in seeing a picture of the trailer…..if you could.
    Hope retirement is a long, happy on.
    OM
    When parked I mostly use the trailer for extra bike parking. I can't figure out why some of the photos insert sideways... Apologies for the neck-craning

IMG_4928.jpgIMG_4925.jpgIMG_4927.jpgIMG_4926.jpg
    sgtbill
    Duty First!

Quote Originally Posted by jhall View Post
    Hi, If you have not done so yet, it may be a good idea to join Airheads, and attend as many of their tech days/weekends, rallies and gatherings as possible. Lotsa experience, and excellent fellowship.
    Congrats on your retirement, I just retired 3 years ago, after about 50 years in two careers. Enjoy!
    Joe H
    I have been an Airhead member for several years. I have read and re-read many of Oak's articles as well as Matt Parkhouse's column. Haven't had the chance to get to an Tech Days but now that I'm retired I think I'll start there.
    sgtbill
    Duty First!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Thanks Bill. When you mentioned NH trailer, that’s what I was thinking of. They are a first class unit.
    Sounds like you have it really well set up.
    As for picture rotation, it seems like with an iPhone, taking the picture with the lens oriented upper left works best.
    I started a thread on this subject-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...per-toy-hauler

Nice job.

Thanks.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

There are some good service videos on YouTube and elsewhere. The one's from Boxer2Valve are particularly well done. According to a recent ON article, it would be interesting to visit their shop.

https://www.boxer2valve.com/

Hi Bill!

If you're game for coming back to Virginia, you could intern here...
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

If that /5 is still hanging in a bar...

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Hi Bill!

If you're game for coming back to Virginia, you could intern here...
    Somewhere near Charlottesville maybe we could get it back to running again....
    sgtbill
    Duty First!