• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ah, Golden Retirement Years and Training Options

SGTBILL

The Big Red One
After more than 45 years I have finally gotten to the point where I can punch out of the rat race and retire. My wife has preceded me in this and retired in early April of this year.... We have been planning fr this date for several years and have collected a traveling gear set up we can live with - Ram 2500 w/Cummins 6.7L and a NH Trailers 16 ft enclosed motorcycle trailer with 30 amp service, Honda gen sets, and A/C. Now i'd like to find some training on the maintenance of my beautiful Airheads. My current stable includes a 1978 Motorsport R 100 S, a 1983 R80ST Modified with a Siebenrock 1090 cylinder kit, and a 1994 R100 Mystic. I am thinking that I can get up to speed with my Airhead maintenance by leaning on Airheads here and YouTube videos. But if there was someone I could "intern" with that would be even better. Just a thought. Any ideas out there?

Airheads.org

After more than 45 years I have finally gotten to the point where I can punch out of the rat race and retire. My wife has preceded me in this and retired in early April of this year.... We have been planning fr this date for several years and have collected a traveling gear set up we can live with - Ram 2500 w/Cummins 6.7L and a NH Trailers 16 ft enclosed motorcycle trailer with 30 amp service, Honda gen sets, and A/C. Now i'd like to find some training on the maintenance of my beautiful Airheads. My current stable includes a 1978 Motorsport R 100 S, a 1983 R80ST Modified with a Siebenrock 1090 cylinder kit, and a 1994 R100 Mystic. I am thinking that I can get up to speed with my Airhead maintenance by leaning on Airheads here and YouTube videos. But if there was someone I could "intern" with that would be even better. Just a thought. Any ideas out there?
Hi, If you have not done so yet, it may be a good idea to join Airheads, and attend as many of their tech days/weekends, rallies and gatherings as possible. Lotsa experience, and excellent fellowship.
Congrats on your retirement, I just retired 3 years ago, after about 50 years in two careers. Enjoy!
Joe H

Congratulations!
I would be interested in seeing a picture of the trailer…..if you could.
Hope retirement is a long, happy on.
OM

Happy Retirement

Congratulations on you and the wife's retirements!

The Airhead club is for the most part an excellent organization and they do host tech days from time to time.

There are people in the MOA the Vintage Club and the Airhead clubs who will be happy to help you out in all sorts of ways and we are now in the time of internet communication making connecting with people easier, finding service easier.

Not for nothing, if you find yourself in the Rochester NY, area, I have my little shop where I work on my bikes as well as a few friends bikes you are most welcome to stop by. I won't promise you expert help I am not a trained BMW airhead mechanic but I have worked a long time on them. I have enough common sense and know how to do what I can and defer to going to the professionals if need be.

I also know a shop nearby specializing in airhead repairs and restorations. I can't promise how much help you would get there as it is not my shop but, the owner is very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.

As to videos, Brook Reams, Boxer two Valve, both have excellent ones showing a huge amount of work they have done on airheads.

Well, enjoy your travels, St.

Congratulations!
I would be interested in seeing a picture of the trailer…..if you could.
Hope retirement is a long, happy on.
OM

When parked I mostly use the trailer for extra bike parking. I can't figure out why some of the photos insert sideways... Apologies for the neck-craning

IMG_4928.jpgIMG_4925.jpgIMG_4927.jpgIMG_4926.jpg

Hi, If you have not done so yet, it may be a good idea to join Airheads, and attend as many of their tech days/weekends, rallies and gatherings as possible. Lotsa experience, and excellent fellowship.
Congrats on your retirement, I just retired 3 years ago, after about 50 years in two careers. Enjoy!
Joe H

I have been an Airhead member for several years. I have read and re-read many of Oak's articles as well as Matt Parkhouse's column. Haven't had the chance to get to an Tech Days but now that I'm retired I think I'll start there.

Back