• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best Route: LA to Invermere, BC

I and several others will be riding to LaPine OR from San Luis Obispo right after Labor Day.
To avoid the heat we are going to ride CA 1 all the way up the coast, scenic and twisty.
When we get to Florence OR we will cut East and go to an event in LaPine OR for the weekend.
After LaPine we will head East.

Not much more scenic than the California and Oregon Coasts and CA 1 provides sufficient twisties.
101 in Oregon gets boring and slow due to beach traffic and small towns but, once you are East of the coastal mountains it will likely get warm.

If it were me I'd ride the Coast to Crescent City CA, then take 199 to Grants Pass on I-5, (Gets warm-then Hot)

From Grants Pass lots of options take OR 234, 62, 230, 138 to intersect with US 97, then North to Bend.

Or continue North up 101 (Cool) to Bandon and then take 42S East to Coquille, then East on Fairview Road to the Coos Bay Wagon Road and follow that all the way to Looking Glass OR, then up to Roseburg OR where you pick up OR 138 to 97

I think I would take I-5 North from Grants Pass to Eugene and then ride East on OR 126 along the McKenzie River to the junction with OR 242 just before Belknap Springs, turn Right on 242 and follow that to Sisters OR. this 242 ride may be the best in Oregon

From Sisters take 126 to Prineville, then OR 380 to Paulina (these roads are heavenly, both scenic and twisty, and were both resurfaced in 2019, I've never seen an LEO between Prineville and 395) then OR 63 East to US 395, the stretch North on 395 to Pendelton is great but remember you are in Oregon and this road is patrolled.

From Pendelton, head NE on 11 to Weston, then East on OR 204 to Elgin OR, then SE on 82 to Enterprise OR, and then North on OR 3/WA 129 to Lewiston. The last 20-30 miles into Lewiston is fun.

From Lewiston take US 12 all the way over the Lolo Pass to Missoula MT. One of the "Iconic American Byways".

At Missoula take US 93 North to Eureka MT to cross into BC and continue North to Invermere.
93 can be a pain so you might want to look at 200 and/or 2 to US 95 then North to Cranbrook

Good luck getting across the border in September, hopefully, it will be open by then.

This is kind of how we really, but we did one longish afternoon up 5 to Redding then through Burns and on up to Boise. From there, Lolo, then up and over the border via 93. We were in a car, so I’d probably go 1 to 199, then up through western OR

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

I and several others will be riding to LaPine OR from San Luis Obispo right after Labor Day.
To avoid the heat we are going to ride CA 1 all the way up the coast, scenic and twisty.
When we get to Florence OR we will cut East and go to an event in LaPine OR for the weekend.

Not much more scenic than the California and Oregon Coasts and CA 1 provides sufficient twisties.
101 in Oregon gets boring and slow due to beach traffic and small towns but, once you are East of the coastal mountains it will likely get warm.

If it were me I'd ride the Coast to Crescent City CA, then take 199 to Grants Pass on I-5, (Gets warm-then Hot)

From Grants Pass lots of options take OR 234, 62, 230, 138 to intersect with US 97, then North to Bend.

Or continue North up 101 (Cool) to Bandon and then take 42S East to Coquille, then East on Fairview Road to the Coos Bay Wagon Road and follow that all the way to Looking Glass OR, then up to Roseburg OR where you pick up OR 138 to 97

I think I would take I-5 North from Grants Pass to Eugene and then ride East on OR 126 along the McKenzie River to the junction with OR 242 just before Belknap Springs, turn Right on 242 and follow that to Sisters OR. this 242 ride may be the best in Oregon

From Sisters take 126 to Prineville, then OR 380 to Paulina (these roads are heavenly, both scenic and twisty, and were both resurfaced in 2019, I've never seen an LEO between Prineville and 395) then OR 63 East to US 395, the stretch North on 395 to Pendelton is great but remember you are in Oregon and this road is patrolled.

From Pendelton, head NE on 11 to Weston, then East on OR 204 to Elgin OR, then SE on 82 to Enterprise OR, and then North on OR 3/WA 129 to Lewiston. The last 20-30 miles into Lewiston is fun.

From Lewiston take US 12 all the way over the Lolo Pass to Missoula MT. One of the "Iconic American Byways".

At Missoula take US 93 North to Eureka MT to cross into BC and continue North to Invermere.
93 can be a pain so you might want to look at 200 and/or 2 to US 95 then North to Cranbrook

Good luck getting across the border in September, hopefully, it will be open by then.

This is an EXCELLENT route plan with alternatives. :thumb

And the border opens (with conditions) August 6th.

Back