Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Best Route: LA to Invermere, BC

  1. #1

    Best Route: LA to Invermere, BC

    Any suggestions for good route Los Angeles to Invermere, BC?

  2. #2
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    670
    What's your focus?
    Twisty roads, scenery, time, traffic, staying cool?
    What time of year?
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

    Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    What's your focus?
    Twisty roads, scenery, time, traffic, staying cool?
    What time of year?
    September. Avoid highways when possible. Priority: scenery. Like twisties.

  4. #4
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    670
    I and several others will be riding to LaPine OR from San Luis Obispo right after Labor Day.
    To avoid the heat we are going to ride CA 1 all the way up the coast, scenic and twisty.
    When we get to Florence OR we will cut East and go to an event in LaPine OR for the weekend.
    After LaPine we will head East.

    Not much more scenic than the California and Oregon Coasts and CA 1 provides sufficient twisties.
    101 in Oregon gets boring and slow due to beach traffic and small towns but, once you are East of the coastal mountains it will likely get warm.

    If it were me I'd ride the Coast to Crescent City CA, then take 199 to Grants Pass on I-5, (Gets warm-then Hot)

    From Grants Pass lots of options take OR 234, 62, 230, 138 to intersect with US 97, then North to Bend.

    Or continue North up 101 (Cool) to Bandon and then take 42S East to Coquille, then East on Fairview Road to the Coos Bay Wagon Road and follow that all the way to Looking Glass OR, then up to Roseburg OR where you pick up OR 138 to 97

    I think I would take I-5 North from Grants Pass to Eugene and then ride East on OR 126 along the McKenzie River to the junction with OR 242 just before Belknap Springs, turn Right on 242 and follow that to Sisters OR. this 242 ride may be the best in Oregon

    From Sisters take 126 to Prineville, then OR 380 to Paulina (these roads are heavenly, both scenic and twisty, and were both resurfaced in 2019, I've never seen an LEO between Prineville and 395) then OR 63 East to US 395, the stretch North on 395 to Pendelton is great but remember you are in Oregon and this road is patrolled.

    From Pendelton, head NE on 11 to Weston, then East on OR 204 to Elgin OR, then SE on 82 to Enterprise OR, and then North on OR 3/WA 129 to Lewiston. The last 20-30 miles into Lewiston is fun.

    From Lewiston take US 12 all the way over the Lolo Pass to Missoula MT. One of the "Iconic American Byways".

    At Missoula take US 93 North to Eureka MT to cross into BC and continue North to Invermere.
    93 can be a pain so you might want to look at 200 and/or 2 to US 95 then North to Cranbrook

    Good luck getting across the border in September, hopefully, it will be open by then.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

    Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

  5. #5
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,763
    This is kind of how we really, but we did one longish afternoon up 5 to Redding then through Burns and on up to Boise. From there, Lolo, then up and over the border via 93. We were in a car, so Id probably go 1 to 199, then up through western OR
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  6. #6

    Thanks!!

    Thanks!!




    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    I and several others will be riding to LaPine OR from San Luis Obispo right after Labor Day.
    To avoid the heat we are going to ride CA 1 all the way up the coast, scenic and twisty.
    When we get to Florence OR we will cut East and go to an event in LaPine OR for the weekend.
    After LaPine we will head East.

    Not much more scenic than the California and Oregon Coasts and CA 1 provides sufficient twisties.
    101 in Oregon gets boring and slow due to beach traffic and small towns but, once you are East of the coastal mountains it will likely get warm.

    If it were me I'd ride the Coast to Crescent City CA, then take 199 to Grants Pass on I-5, (Gets warm-then Hot)

    From Grants Pass lots of options take OR 234, 62, 230, 138 to intersect with US 97, then North to Bend.

    Or continue North up 101 (Cool) to Bandon and then take 42S East to Coquille, then East on Fairview Road to the Coos Bay Wagon Road and follow that all the way to Looking Glass OR, then up to Roseburg OR where you pick up OR 138 to 97

    I think I would take I-5 North from Grants Pass to Eugene and then ride East on OR 126 along the McKenzie River to the junction with OR 242 just before Belknap Springs, turn Right on 242 and follow that to Sisters OR. this 242 ride may be the best in Oregon

    From Sisters take 126 to Prineville, then OR 380 to Paulina (these roads are heavenly, both scenic and twisty, and were both resurfaced in 2019, I've never seen an LEO between Prineville and 395) then OR 63 East to US 395, the stretch North on 395 to Pendelton is great but remember you are in Oregon and this road is patrolled.

    From Pendelton, head NE on 11 to Weston, then East on OR 204 to Elgin OR, then SE on 82 to Enterprise OR, and then North on OR 3/WA 129 to Lewiston. The last 20-30 miles into Lewiston is fun.

    From Lewiston take US 12 all the way over the Lolo Pass to Missoula MT. One of the "Iconic American Byways".

    At Missoula take US 93 North to Eureka MT to cross into BC and continue North to Invermere.
    93 can be a pain so you might want to look at 200 and/or 2 to US 95 then North to Cranbrook

    Good luck getting across the border in September, hopefully, it will be open by then.

  7. #7
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    I and several others will be riding to LaPine OR from San Luis Obispo right after Labor Day.
    To avoid the heat we are going to ride CA 1 all the way up the coast, scenic and twisty.
    When we get to Florence OR we will cut East and go to an event in LaPine OR for the weekend.
    After LaPine we will head East.

    Not much more scenic than the California and Oregon Coasts and CA 1 provides sufficient twisties.
    101 in Oregon gets boring and slow due to beach traffic and small towns but, once you are East of the coastal mountains it will likely get warm.

    If it were me I'd ride the Coast to Crescent City CA, then take 199 to Grants Pass on I-5, (Gets warm-then Hot)

    From Grants Pass lots of options take OR 234, 62, 230, 138 to intersect with US 97, then North to Bend.

    Or continue North up 101 (Cool) to Bandon and then take 42S East to Coquille, then East on Fairview Road to the Coos Bay Wagon Road and follow that all the way to Looking Glass OR, then up to Roseburg OR where you pick up OR 138 to 97

    I think I would take I-5 North from Grants Pass to Eugene and then ride East on OR 126 along the McKenzie River to the junction with OR 242 just before Belknap Springs, turn Right on 242 and follow that to Sisters OR. this 242 ride may be the best in Oregon

    From Sisters take 126 to Prineville, then OR 380 to Paulina (these roads are heavenly, both scenic and twisty, and were both resurfaced in 2019, I've never seen an LEO between Prineville and 395) then OR 63 East to US 395, the stretch North on 395 to Pendelton is great but remember you are in Oregon and this road is patrolled.

    From Pendelton, head NE on 11 to Weston, then East on OR 204 to Elgin OR, then SE on 82 to Enterprise OR, and then North on OR 3/WA 129 to Lewiston. The last 20-30 miles into Lewiston is fun.

    From Lewiston take US 12 all the way over the Lolo Pass to Missoula MT. One of the "Iconic American Byways".

    At Missoula take US 93 North to Eureka MT to cross into BC and continue North to Invermere.
    93 can be a pain so you might want to look at 200 and/or 2 to US 95 then North to Cranbrook

    Good luck getting across the border in September, hopefully, it will be open by then.
    This is an EXCELLENT route plan with alternatives.

    And the border opens (with conditions) August 6th.

  8. #8
    Registered User czawade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK Canada
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    This is an EXCELLENT route plan with alternatives.

    And the border opens (with conditions) August 6th.
    No, it opens (into Canada) August 9. Still no word on the US allowing Canadians in...
    caz

    2015 R1200RT
    Success is 99% failure - Soichiro Honda

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by czawade View Post
    No, it opens (into Canada) August 9. Still no word on the US allowing Canadians in...
    The US said closure until at least August 21.

  10. #10
    Fires and smoke can completely change your routing. Keep on eye on the various reporting sites.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2019, 06:15 PM
  2. Best route to SLC 70 or 80?
    By Strider1 in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2017, 03:17 PM
  3. Best Route CT to MT
    By peterbbenedict in forum Just Ridin'
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 08:53 PM
  4. Route 66
    By reimerdavid in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 10:38 PM
  5. Which route is better
    By OFOAM in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •