Thread: 2000 R1100RT broken side case latch

2000 R1100RT broken side case latch

A few days ago I suffered a low speed tip over. I hit the curb hard enough to break off the right side front foot peg. I also had some impact on the right hand hard side case. When I removed the side case I found that the metal latch that pivots out of the bottom of the side case to secure the case to the bike was broken. The microfiche that I looked at did not show any internal parts available for the side cases. I spoke with a local machinist
    who thinks he can duplicate the part. The problem now is how do I access the internal mechanism? The only retainers appear to be seven rivets on the inside of the case. Just wondering if anyone has ever had reason to get into the locking mechanism on one of these side cases.

I had the same problem a few years back. Although, my just now quick search couldn't find the part/number, but it is available . It came as a kit and included stainless rivets to replace those you will be drilling out. You will need a snap rivet tool. The chore is easy enough. Perhaps someone else knows how to look up the part.

Is that item #1 in this diagram? Or item #13?
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=46_0295

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I believe it is part #1 in the diagram although it doesn't show any of the internal pieces. For that price I'm first going to remove the unit and see if the broken piece can be duplicated for less money. I will post the results.
    Thanks for the input.

I thought I would post an update regarding the broken side case latch which secures the case to the bike. I originally thought it might be possible to remove the broken "hook" and have a new one machined. After drilling out the seven rivets that hold the locking mechanism (referred to in BMW part terminology as the multi purpose box), I realized this was not a viable option. Bob"s BMW had the part in stock and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the rivets were included. The multi purpose box cost $183.00 plus shipping and the rivets cost $59.12 when purchased separately. Looking at the complexity of the parts in the multi purpose box makes the price seem like a pretty good deal. Installation was easy with the supplied rivets. I watched a couple of videos to learn how to remove the lock cylinder from the old case and made the tool out of a heavy duty paper clip. I was a little concerned that this would be a difficult task after watching the videos but I got lucky and got the cylinder out is less than a minute and installed it in the new multi purpose box.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Atta way to go there Littledog

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200