• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2000 R1100RT broken side case latch

littledog

A few days ago I suffered a low speed tip over. I hit the curb hard enough to break off the right side front foot peg. I also had some impact on the right hand hard side case. When I removed the side case I found that the metal latch that pivots out of the bottom of the side case to secure the case to the bike was broken. The microfiche that I looked at did not show any internal parts available for the side cases. I spoke with a local machinist
who thinks he can duplicate the part. The problem now is how do I access the internal mechanism? The only retainers appear to be seven rivets on the inside of the case. Just wondering if anyone has ever had reason to get into the locking mechanism on one of these side cases.

I had the same problem a few years back. Although, my just now quick search couldn't find the part/number, but it is available . It came as a kit and included stainless rivets to replace those you will be drilling out. You will need a snap rivet tool. The chore is easy enough. Perhaps someone else knows how to look up the part.

I believe it is part #1 in the diagram although it doesn't show any of the internal pieces. For that price I'm first going to remove the unit and see if the broken piece can be duplicated for less money. I will post the results.
Thanks for the input.

I thought I would post an update regarding the broken side case latch which secures the case to the bike. I originally thought it might be possible to remove the broken "hook" and have a new one machined. After drilling out the seven rivets that hold the locking mechanism (referred to in BMW part terminology as the multi purpose box), I realized this was not a viable option. Bob"s BMW had the part in stock and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the rivets were included. The multi purpose box cost $183.00 plus shipping and the rivets cost $59.12 when purchased separately. Looking at the complexity of the parts in the multi purpose box makes the price seem like a pretty good deal. Installation was easy with the supplied rivets. I watched a couple of videos to learn how to remove the lock cylinder from the old case and made the tool out of a heavy duty paper clip. I was a little concerned that this would be a difficult task after watching the videos but I got lucky and got the cylinder out is less than a minute and installed it in the new multi purpose box.

New Rivets for Saddlebag Multi Box Will Not Break Off

I thought I would post an update regarding the broken side case latch which secures the case to the bike. I originally thought it might be possible to remove the broken "hook" and have a new one machined. After drilling out the seven rivets that hold the locking mechanism (referred to in BMW part terminology as the multi purpose box), I realized this was not a viable option. Bob"s BMW had the part in stock and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the rivets were included. The multi purpose box cost $183.00 plus shipping and the rivets cost $59.12 when purchased separately. Looking at the complexity of the parts in the multi purpose box makes the price seem like a pretty good deal. Installation was easy with the supplied rivets. I watched a couple of videos to learn how to remove the lock cylinder from the old case and made the tool out of a heavy duty paper clip. I was a little concerned that this would be a difficult task after watching the videos but I got lucky and got the cylinder out is less than a minute and installed it in the new multi purpose box.

As Littledog did, I am in the process of installing a new multi box in a sidecase on my 1999 R1100RT and the BMW supplied rivets will not break off. There are very tight and have fully compressed the neoprene (?) washers, but my old, USA made Bostick POP Rivet Tool K110 will not break off the steel rivets. I have moved the tool down and tried multiple times.

Any thoughts on the best solution? I am inclined to cut off the protruding stem with nippers (then grind smooth) or a dremel tool. Would this weaken the rivet connection? I have almost no experience with rivets. Thanks

I thought Installation was easy with the supplied rivets. I watched a couple of videos to learn how to remove the lock cylinder from the old case and made the tool out of a heavy duty paper clip. I was a little concerned that this would be a difficult task after watching the videos but I got lucky and got the cylinder out is less than a minute and installed it in the new multi purpose box.

As luck would have it, or rather “bad luck”, I will also need to replace that part. :banghead

Could you please supply links to the videos that helped you with your repair/install?

Thanks!

Paul

As luck would have it, or rather “bad luck”, I will also need to replace that part. :banghead

Could you please supply links to the videos that helped you with your repair/install?

Thanks!

Paul

Here is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU8v6z77lH4

Same source has others. This pdf from Max BMW's site was also helpful https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/NotesParts/46542307620_1.pdf

Regarding the PDF: Note that after drilling out the 7 rivets to remove the old multi box no further disassembly is necessary (that is only needed to replacing the orange locking plate INSIDE multi box). No need to take covers off of the new multi box to install it...just use 7 rivets installed from inside case to install new multi box. Rivet gun should have 3/32" head, I only had a 5/64" and 1/8". Rivet mandrels stuck in 5/64 (I made it work) and 1/8 was too big to cut off rivet mandrel/shaft after installation. Other than my rivet gun issues no problem, lock removal and re-installation went fine.

Last edited:
Back