• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS dodgy fuel pump 4-pin connector.

mcmlcccvrs

Yesterday while out for a ride my bike suddenly quit. I had a pretty good idea why and was right. After popping off the left hand side knee pad trim, unplugging and plugging in the 4-pin female connector to the fuel pump, I was on my way without further incident. This is the 2nd time this has happened although the 1st time was in my garage, not on the road. I had previously sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner, followed up with dielectric grease.

When I got home I unplugged it and using some hobbyists micro-tubing, slid it over the female pins, collapsing them slightly. I sprayed male and female pins again with cleaner and dielectric grease. It did fit tighter, however, I would like a long-term solution. I have the early-style connector so was wondering what some of you guys have done for a permanent solution.

Thanks,
Tom

You can just replace the connectors with something else, or if you want to maintain originality you can replace the pins in those housings. I think I have new pins for that style.

I would just replace them with the Oilhead style because I have bajillions of those housings and pins. But if you replace a fuel tank or gauge you will have to deal with the mismatch.

When this happened on my K100RS, I used a pointed pick to slightly close the gap on the female pins to engage more firmly. That had to be 10-15 years ago and haven't had to touch it since.

Frank

Back in the 1990s when Old Smokey (K75T) had only about 200,000 miles on it I started having this issue. After repeated attempts to make the connections more secure I just transplanted an ordinary four-pole trailer connector I got at an auto parts store. Not exactly an elegant solution to a purist, but by then the bike had an 8.5 gallon gas tank coated with truck bed liner, a solo seat, and a Harley FLH trunk so an inauthentic tank connector was of little matter.

I just found this on Tills website. This looks like it.

nYSW1q.jpg

I chased the same problem

I chased it for quite a while before I discovered the faulty fuel pump connector. I went out and got a GM style water proof four pin connector and solved the issue in about 20 minutes.

I replaced mine with a 4 pin trailer light connector. Just cut and splice the wires with heat shrink connectors.

And this will fit the plug with the male pins on the underside of the tank?

My guess is you would need both sides. If I change (critical) connectors, I use these-

TDTP04_2RP__83219.1449074020.jpg

They are called " Deutsch connectors " and are a bit fussy to install but should be the last time you need to mess with that. There are instructional videos on Youtube on how they go together. Pacer Group has them- https://www.pacergroup.net/products/terminals-and-connectors/deutsch-connectors/dtp-series/ and they are now available many places.

OM

"Deutsch" is just the brand name, and they make many different kinds of electrical connectors, but that type of connector is their DTP series.

Got that, no biggie... but we can't just walk into the local FLAPS and say "Hey, do you have any Deutsch connectors?" ... They make thousands! :buds

Handy household hint - If one doesn't have the expensive specific crimper for the pins, a small needlenose pliers and some careful patience can fold the tabs over so the pin fits into the socket; this can be preferable to just cutting the tabs off and soldering the wires, because any solder overflow may get on to the shoulder of the pin and prevent it from seating in the shell properly.

Back