• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

garmin smartlink

I just realized, it will recognize a GPS coordinates from anywhere and send it.
Awesome, never thought of that. Works great.

OTOH sharing places locally has worked intermittently for me this afternoon. Maybe it's a a temporary "glitch".

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I just realized, it will recognize a GPS coordinates from anywhere and send it.

When using a desktop computer I can get coordinates from Google Maps with a right click.
How do you get coordinates from Google Maps using a phone ?

Edit: I see if I hold the red push pin on Google Maps I can see the Coordinated at the top of my phone screen.
I'm still trying to figure out how to copy the Coord.

If I figure it out I'm not sure I'll use that method. I'll still need to edit the location on the GPS if I want to display the business name, address and phone number.

When using a desktop computer I can get coordinates from Google Maps with a right click.
How do you get coordinates from Google Maps using a phone ?

Edit: I see if I hold the red push pin on Google Maps I can see the Coordinated at the top of my phone screen.
I'm still trying to figure out how to copy the Coord.

If I figure it out I'm not sure I'll use that method. I'll still need to edit the location on the GPS if I want to display the business name, address and phone number.

On my phone, the coordinates of a dropped pin do appear in the search bar, but there is no way to copy them from the bar.

If the selected location does NOT have an address, you can copy the coordinates from the info at the bottom of the screen. Tap the double lines under the map, or swipe up in that general area. Tap on the blue pin or the coordinates and they will be copied to the clipboard.

You can then paste the coordinates into Smartlink. The problem is that Google Maps mobile will "helpfully" convert coordinates into a street address wherever possible, and Foursquare will not work with any address outside whatever area it considers local. This is relatively new behavior by Google; I can find instructions on the web that show both the street address AND the coordinates of a location.

It might be simplest to use the GPS to ride near enough the destination that Foursquare will see the specific destination as "local", then send it to the GPS, letting the GPS add it to the route.

Back