• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

garmin smartlink

Does anybody have idea of what could be the problem with the Garmin smartlink on my I phone . I can be many miles from home and punch in gas or food on the foursquare segment and all it shows me is food and gas around where I live . I tried it with the gps on ,on the bike but it still did the same thing . Any ideas ? Thanks

Does anybody have idea of what could be the problem with the Garmin smartlink on my I phone . I can be many miles from home and punch in gas or food on the foursquare segment and all it shows me is food and gas around where I live . I tried it with the gps on ,on the bike but it still did the same thing . Any ideas ? Thanks

Apple or Android?
I suspect there is problem with Smartlink having the proper access to location/GPS on the phone.

Garmin Smartphine link sucks!

If you want to search for something search on Google Maps or Apple Maps and share the location to Smartphone link and it will send to the Garmin or BMW Nav.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
f743ef3515ee466705b00496ad5bae4a.jpg
b6b23ca608ff24072942cdadf88dd897.jpg

Because 4-Square is the function that sucks. Now thats a good idea.

Edit: Just tried it...works great!!!

Joe

If you want to search for something search on Google Maps or Apple Maps and share the location to Smartphone link and it will send to the Garmin or BMW Nav.

f743ef3515ee466705b00496ad5bae4a.jpg
b6b23ca608ff24072942cdadf88dd897.jpg

I tried it several times on my Android phone and get a Not Supported message.

Edit: I was searching in Google. When I search in Google Maps it works.
Thanks

I always use my phone to send a location to my car Navigation and thought it was odd I could not do the same with my Nav V.
With my Nav V I can send a local location from my phone to the Nav but not a location in another town or state.

Using the phone voice command and Share option is much easier than typing it into the Nav.

Last edited:
I tried searching for something in Google Maps on my iPhone, then sharing that result. Garmin SmartLink was not one of the share choices. Tried it with Apple Maps and SmartLink did not show up as one of the share choices either. It didn't matter whether SmartLink was open, or not. Same result.

How do you add SmartLink to the Share menu on an iPhone?

]

You get three thumbs up for this post :thumb:thumb:thumb
small like.gif

I tried it several times on my Android phone and get a Not Supported message.

Edit: I was searching in Google. When I search in Google Maps it works.
Thanks

I always use my phone to send a location to my car Navigation and thought it was odd I could not do the same with my Nav V.
With my Nav V I can send a local location from my phone to the Nav but not a location in another town or state.

Using the phone voice command and Share option is much easier than typing it into the Nav.
Well, I will revert back to "smartphone link sucks"! It worked when I first posted and this morning it doesn't. I works with the Garmin Drive app that the XT runs off of as well as my car Garmin.

How do you add SmartLink to the Share menu on an iPhone?

Try this

How Do I Add Apps to the Share Menu

Tap the share icon.
Swipe over the app icons to the left.
Tap the three dots above the word More.
Select the app of your choice. Depending on the app, you may need to add contacts or other choices before you send, post, or publish.

Try this

How Do I Add Apps to the Share Menu

Tap the share icon.
Swipe over the app icons to the left.
Tap the three dots above the word More.
Select the app of your choice. Depending on the app, you may need to add contacts or other choices before you send, post, or publish.

When I tap the three dots, the Smarlink App is not one of the options that shows up.

Well, I will revert back to "smartphone link sucks"! It worked when I first posted and this morning it doesn't. I works with the Garmin Drive app that the XT runs off of as well as my car Garmin.

Now I have to go back and change my rating for your post :)

When I tap the three dots, the Smarlink App is not one of the options that shows up.

Ditto.

What you dan do, though, is copy the address field from a place you find in Google Maps, then paste that address into the "Find Nearby Places" field in SmartLink. Tap on that search result in SmartLink, and the map opens up. Tap again on the red circle icon (with the i inside the circle), and you are presented with three choices: Send, Share, and Save (it will show you the full address and coordinates). If you choose "Send", SmartLink will send that address to your Navigator (not that I've actually tried that, yet - too lazy to go into my hot garage and take the Nav VI off my bike).

If you choose "Send", SmartLink will send that address to your Navigator (not that I've actually tried that, yet - too lazy to go into my hot garage and take the Nav VI off my bike).

Give it a try.
On my Android phone when I tap on Send I get a not supported message.
The message only appears for a second and I can't read all of it.

If you choose "Send", SmartLink will send that address to your Navigator (not that I've actually tried that, yet - too lazy to go into my hot garage and take the Nav VI off my bike).

It works perfectly on mine, but keep in mind it will only recognize nearby locations.

It works perfectly on mine, but keep in mind it will only recognize nearby locations.

That's correct. Mine has always worked for something local but never worked for something in another state or even 100 miles away.

Wish it was like my car. I never have to type a location into my car in-dash navigation. I speak into My Chevy app on the phone and press Send.
When I get in the car and start it there's a message on the dash asking if I want to go to that location or save the location.

Back