• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coolant question

PHOTONPHIL

I just bought a used F 650 GS with 9000 miles. I was checking the whole bike over and found there was no coolant in the overflow tank. What type/color do I use?
Thank,
Phil

It's a bummer that the manual doesn't actually tell you the exact type just states "Nitrite-free long-life antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor”

BMW only sells one type of antifreeze (as far as I can tell) for both their bikes and cars. I picked up a jug at my local BMW car dealer for what I thought was a reasonable price. Your local moto dealer would also be happy to sell you a jug too I'm sure. Either way, from my research, "BMW GS 94000" is the type your looking for. Valvoline Zerex G-48, Pentosin Pentifrost, Motorex G48 are generally available at your local auto/motoparts dealer. Unfortunately, they seem to be all different colors.

Should color make a difference? Seems like it colored to help with leak detection and differentiation without (I meant with other) fluids.

Should color make a difference? Seems like it colored to help with leak detection and differentiation without fluids.

I thought for a while that there was some agreed upon "this color indicates this type of coolant" from manufacturers, but that doesn't seem to hold true anymore.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/does-the-color-of-your-coolant-matter/

I do agree that using a colored antifreeze would make finding a leak easier and it would be harder than heck to see the level in the overflow tank if it wasn't colored. Plus, the risk of someone ingesting it?

Should color make a difference? Seems like it colored to help with leak detection and differentiation without fluids.
I have found color to be more of a "matching" kinda deal.....Seems that most owners like the color consistency. A deeper color does help to see the fluid level in the opaque plastic tanks, especially as they age.
I think I bought a bottle years ago for the F800GS. I will take a look.....for it :hungover
OM

I also picked up a jug at a BMW car dealership. You mix it 50/50 with water. Lifetime supply for your bike.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

It’s funny I called BMW dealer in South Carolina and they had no idea what kind of cooling to use. So I went to my local BMW car dealer that service is my wife’s car and gave them my Vin and they looked up the coolant. What a nice dealership they said they had access to all the BMW motorcycle parts fishes but due to a difference in the numbers that they used to order they could not order me any other parts. They were very helpful. I just love BMW of Myrtle Beach.

We have been using Engine Ice in our 2010 F650 GS twins. That’s what outer dealer uses as well.

Back