• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1999 R1100RT Rain problems.

Once again Oilhead owners ...

The Oilhead was BMW's first bike following new Euro regulations that auto parts be biodegradable. Your wiring harnesses all over your bike are falling apart at this age ... by design.

The HES wire is not the biodegradable type. It is PVC that has too low a temperature rating. 80C is too low for the application.

The flexible covering over the harness on other areas of the bike is biodegradable and is falling off now due to age.

I hope you make it home trouble free and without rain. Let us know.

I have said this several times, probably on this site but on others too. EVERY 1100/R/RT/RS/GS left the factory with the same bad wire harness on the HES. Every one of them. The harness has to be replaced or repaired, or you will get stranded eventually. GSAddict is the guy that repairs them beautifully. His repair will last the remaining life of the bike. I think the new replacement units are made with the proper wiring, but can’t be sure of that.

I don’t understand why some folks think that their bike is magically immune to the problem.

I just bought the bike this spring, I have not had the time to fins all the problems, give me a break

............ all the problems, give me a break

Good luck to you. We're here to help. My statement about magic bikes wasn't directed at you, it's directed at all the OTHER guys who ignore every thread about a failing HES until their bike won't start.

The garage isn't open yet so I can't actually go out and check - but are those lines on the side little vents to help cool the HES and the belt...? That would be a direct entry for water.
View attachment 84408

Those are vents for sure and a great entry point for water. I finally got mine out and the HES wiring is shot. I ordered one from Amazon (cheaper than GSaddict) and we are going to have a go at rewiring it for a spare ourselves..

Here’s to a rain free trip.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Made it home no problem. The HES is the problem for sure now that I have it out. I ordered a new one from Amazon and we are going to have a go at rewiring the old one for a spare.

Good luck to you. We're here to help. My statement about magic bikes wasn't directed at you, it's directed at all the OTHER guys who ignore every thread about a failing HES until their bike won't start.

I didn't take it personal, I just bought the bike in March so still learning about it.

I am not up to the task?

If youtube vids are right my mechanical aptitude probably will not suffice to remove it to send to GS addict this winter. Need a special tool? Have to make one? Anybody got a link to a vid re how the average non mechanic can remove it to send to GS?

HES Symptom

Not mentioned here but a classic symptom of bad HES wires is the Tach needle will bounce around when the ignition switch (key) is turned on. Happened on my 96R1100RT, and yes the initial failure was in a downpour.

If youtube vids are right my mechanical aptitude probably will not suffice to remove it to send to GS addict this winter. Need a special tool? Have to make one? Anybody got a link to a vid re how the average non mechanic can remove it to send to GS?

Send me a PM with your email address.
I can send you a .pdf with Re&RE instructions

No special tools required. Take GSAddict up on his offer of comprehensive instructions BEFORE you remove the HES.

Back