Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1999 R1100RT Rain problems.

Solution?

The bike is starting now after drying out but according to my brother it has a rough idle and a little hesitation. I am going to try to ride it home
    to TN from Mass. Once it is home I will look at the HES and send it for rewire if there is any deterioration.
    Thank you all for your help.
    Greg

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grees1 View Post
    The bike is starting now after drying out but according to my brother it has a rough idle and a little hesitation. I am going to try to ride it home
    to TN from Mass. Once it is home I will look at the HES and send it for rewire if there is any deterioration.
    Greg
    Hereís to a rain free trip.
    Let us know how you make out.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Greg
    I hope you make it home trouble free and without rain. Let us know.

I have said this several times, probably on this site but on others too. EVERY 1100/R/RT/RS/GS left the factory with the same bad wire harness on the HES. Every one of them. The harness has to be replaced or repaired, or you will get stranded eventually. GSAddict is the guy that repairs them beautifully. His repair will last the remaining life of the bike. I think the new replacement units are made with the proper wiring, but canít be sure of that.

I donít understand why some folks think that their bike is magically immune to the problem.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

The correct insulation type was introduced in mid to late 2002
    Some models had it earlier than others.
    Easy way to check is below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Once again Oilhead owners ...

The Oilhead was BMW's first bike following new Euro regulations that auto parts be biodegradable. Your wiring harnesses all over your bike are falling apart at this age ... by design. Suggest you deal with this proactively.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Once again Oilhead owners ...

The Oilhead was BMW's first bike following new Euro regulations that auto parts be biodegradable. Your wiring harnesses all over your bike are falling apart at this age ... by design.
    The HES wire is not the biodegradable type. It is PVC that has too low a temperature rating. 80C is too low for the application.

The flexible covering over the harness on other areas of the bike is biodegradable and is falling off now due to age.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Rain Free

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    OM
    I will let you all know. I am giving myself 2-1/2 days to make 14 hour ride so I have time to stop for thunderstorms.

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    I hope you make it home trouble free and without rain. Let us know.

I have said this several times, probably on this site but on others too. EVERY 1100/R/RT/RS/GS left the factory with the same bad wire harness on the HES. Every one of them. The harness has to be replaced or repaired, or you will get stranded eventually. GSAddict is the guy that repairs them beautifully. His repair will last the remaining life of the bike. I think the new replacement units are made with the proper wiring, but can’t be sure of that.

I don’t understand why some folks think that their bike is magically immune to the problem.
    I just bought the bike this spring, I have not had the time to fins all the problems, give me a break

............ all the problems, give me a break
    Good luck to you. We're here to help. My statement about magic bikes wasn't directed at you, it's directed at all the OTHER guys who ignore every thread about a failing HES until their bike won't start.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    The garage isn't open yet so I can't actually go out and check - but are those lines on the side little vents to help cool the HES and the belt...? That would be a direct entry for water.
    Attachment 84408
    Those are vents for sure and a great entry point for water. I finally got mine out and the HES wiring is shot. I ordered one from Amazon (cheaper than GSaddict) and we are going to have a go at rewiring it for a spare ourselves..

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    OM
    Made it home no problem. The HES is the problem for sure now that I have it out. I ordered a new one from Amazon and we are going to have a go at rewiring the old one for a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Good luck to you. We're here to help. My statement about magic bikes wasn't directed at you, it's directed at all the OTHER guys who ignore every thread about a failing HES until their bike won't start.
    I didn't take it personal, I just bought the bike in March so still learning about it.

I am not up to the task?

If youtube vids are right my mechanical aptitude probably will not suffice to remove it to send to GS addict this winter. Need a special tool? Have to make one? Anybody got a link to a vid re how the average non mechanic can remove it to send to GS?

HES Symptom

Not mentioned here but a classic symptom of bad HES wires is the Tach needle will bounce around when the ignition switch (key) is turned on. Happened on my 96R1100RT, and yes the initial failure was in a downpour.

Quote Originally Posted by mntngrown View Post
    If youtube vids are right my mechanical aptitude probably will not suffice to remove it to send to GS addict this winter. Need a special tool? Have to make one? Anybody got a link to a vid re how the average non mechanic can remove it to send to GS?
    Send me a PM with your email address.
    I can send you a .pdf with Re&RE instructions
    '
    Ufda happens..........