Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1999 R1100RT Rain problems.

1999 R1100RT Rain problems.

My 1999 R1100RT died on the side of the highway after a bad rainstorm on the way home from the rally this year. Fortunately my brother was close with his truck to help. Bike would crank fine but not start. Fuel pump was coming on when I turned on the key. After we hauled it from Wisconsin to Massachusetts I borrowed a car. My brother put it in the local shop and when they tried it, it started fine. Now it starts but has a rough idle and a little hesitation. any ideas on where to look? I'm pretty sure it is a wet connector or something like that. Has anyone else had this problem? I have to go get it next weekend and ride to Tennessee.

I saw your post in the other thread. Not totally familiar with the Oilhead, but it might be somewhat similar to the Airhead. One issue on a period of the Airheads was the "crack-o-matic" coil. I think there was a run of dual-tower coil that tended to crack which then allowed water to get inside...not good. That's something that I would look at or consider for your issue.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Associated with the rain, I wonder if you picked up water in your fuel? Understand the heavy rains... A couple weeks earlier, crossing ND, just east of Bismarck, encountered a tremendous storm that took out my speedo and gps on my 85 KRS/eml. Not fun traveling without both. Eventually the gps has dried out. Still trying to figure out the gps. Good luck.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS

DennyPink
    Quote Originally Posted by grees1 View Post
    My 1999 R1100RT died on the side of the highway after a bad rainstorm on the way home from the rally this year. Fortunately my brother was close with his truck to help. Bike would crank fine but not start. Fuel pump was coming on when I turned on the key. After we hauled it from Wisconsin to Massachusetts I borrowed a car. My brother put it in the local shop and when they tried it, it started fine. Now it starts but has a rough idle and a little hesitation. any ideas on where to look? I'm pretty sure it is a wet connector or something like that. Has anyone else had this problem? I have to go get it next weekend and ride to Tennessee.
    Sure sounds like the wiring has gone bad on your Hall Effect Sensor (HES) Look up past threads on your symptoms, bet you'll find your answer. Member GSAddict can rewire them for much less than a new one, but if you need one fast, Beemer Boneyard sells new ones. Good Luck!
    DP

Yeah, I just replied to that other thread ... water in the fuel is also easily possible, especially if the drain path around the perimeter of the filler cap is clogged downstream.

Left Coast Rider
    HES or I'll eat my hat.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    HES or I'll eat my hat.
    I agree. These are absolutely classic symptoms of failed HES wiring on R1100 bikes.

You should p.m. GSAddict. He rewires them and is known for high quality work.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

So isn't the HES buried under some engine cover? Why is it getting wet? Seems like that needs to be cured as well.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    So isn't the HES buried under some engine cover? Why is it getting wet? Seems like that needs to be cured as well.
    The HES is located behind the lower belt pulley on the crankshaft, behind the front engine cover. That is not the location where water causes the problem though. The wiring harness from the HES to the Motronic ECU plugs into the bike harness under the fuel tank at a location which can get wet riding in heavy rain.

And, there is a bundle of four wires inside the outer sheath of that harness from the HES to the main harness. And the insulation on those four wires always fails eventually on the R1100 bikes. The location of the crumbled insulation is most typically behind the pulley and front engine cover but inside that outer sheath. If the bundle is undisturbed those naked wires can be side by side and not cause a failure. But the slightest bit of water inside the sheath can cause arcing between the various wires. And the water gets in past the poorly shielded harness connector at the top under the fuel tank.

In one case on Voni's R1100RSL it had squirt and it had spark but at random times. With the key on but engine not turning over I heard a faint buzz. This turned out to be the injectors firing as current arced from one wire to another in the bundle. And the spark plugs were also sparking with the key on but engine stationary.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 07-10-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

RK Ryder
    Once when I washed my Oilhead, perhaps rinsing too vigorously, the four way flasher button, had corroded wiring that the water somehow shorted something that caused a starting issue. Your problem is most likely the HES issue mention above, but I am posting this as another possibility.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Typical Hall sensor insulation failure.
    I rewire them for a lifetime fix.
    PM me for full details.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

So isn't the HES buried under some engine cover?
    The garage isn't open yet so I can't actually go out and check - but are those lines on the side little vents to help cool the HES and the belt...? That would be a direct entry for water.
    FrontCover.png

Have to hear someone weigh in on the openings. On the Airheads, there was a point where there were vent holes on the front engine cover. But the critical element of the points/condenser was further sealed in a cavity at the bottom of the front of the engine. If the HES is that critical to contamination, seems like there should be a secondary barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    The garage isn't open yet so I can't actually go out and check - but are those lines on the side little vents to help cool the HES and the belt...? That would be a direct entry for water.
    FrontCover.png
    Yes, that is how the water gets in and turns to sauna steam
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Have to hear someone weigh in on the openings. On the Airheads, there was a point where there were vent holes on the front engine cover. But the critical element of the points/condenser was further sealed in a cavity at the bottom of the front of the engine. If the HES is that critical to contamination, seems like there should be a secondary barrier.
    No need for that under normal circmstances - ie: if Bosch had used the correct temperature rated wire in the first place.
    The insulation inside the splice turns to dust and when exposed to high humidity will allow for leakage between the 4 conductors.
    When the Motronic senses this it shuts down.
    Rewiring with the correct temperature rated wire (Aircraft Teflon Shielded) will solve this issue for good.

Insulation breakdown example:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........