• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

94 R 1100RS Wheels

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with my lasted motorcycle adventure. Fork seal repaired, Halls Effect Sensor upgraded, cam chain tensioner upgrade, fluids change, new front brakes and more. Leaking Ohlins rear shock ready for pick u p tomorrow, so now I'm turning my attention to new tires. It seems at one point there was a discussion here about changing out the rear 18 inch wheel for a 17 inch due to the better availability of 17 inch tires. This is something I'd be interested in doing and wonder if anyone could recommend a 17 inch wheel replacement that would easily swap out. Thanks!

As far as I have read (and I have not done this swap myself but plan to in the future) the best single rear wheel swap is the 17x5 inch, 5 spoke, cast aluminum wheel from the K1200LT and K1200RS. It must be a wheel that has no brake disc mounting posts.

Other than that, a swap to a pair of R1100GS spoked tubeless wheels would yield a 17-inch rear, but also an 18-inch front.

I have yet to find any clear information as to whether it needs any change in lateral spacing shims on your R1100RS (stock on the K12's it had 1 shim between the wheel and hub), but quite a few swappers have found that you need the longer lug bolts from the original bike to fit it to yours.

Our own Mr. Largiader has a full writeup on it on his website: http://largiader.com/parts/wheels.html

As far as I have read (and I have not done this swap myself but plan to in the future) the best single rear wheel swap is the 17x5 inch, 5 spoke, cast aluminum wheel from the K1200LT and K1200RS. It must be a wheel that has no brake disc mounting posts.

Other than that, a swap to a pair of R1100GS spoked tubeless wheels would yield a 17-inch rear, but also an 18-inch front.

I have yet to find any clear information as to whether it needs any change in lateral spacing shims on your R1100RS (stock on the K12's it had 1 shim between the wheel and hub), but quite a few swappers have found that you need the longer lug bolts from the original bike to fit it to yours.

Our own Mr. Largiader has a full writeup on it on his website: http://largiader.com/parts/wheels.html

Use the same spacer as used on both the K12 bikes and the R1100RS. There is one significant difference. The bolts needed for the K1200 wheels are 5mm in length different than those OEM on the R1100RS. I forget whether longer or shorter but 5mm different so you need 4 bolts. I interchange the 18 and 17 inch wheels on Voni's R1100RS so have two sets of bolts of the correct lengths for the different wheels.

Use the same spacer as used on both the K12 bikes and the R1100RS. There is one significant difference. The bolts needed for the K1200 wheels are 5mm in length different than those OEM on the R1100RS. I forget whether longer or shorter but 5mm different so you need 4 bolts. I interchange the 18 and 17 inch wheels on Voni's R1100RS so have two sets of bolts of the correct lengths for the different wheels.

Great. I'll start looking for a extra K1200 rear wheel đź‘Ť

Great. I'll start looking for a extra K1200 rear wheel đź‘Ť

Note that there were two wheel widths available for the K1200RS/GT bikes: 5.0” and 5.5”. The latter were standard on the GT bikes and could potentially be too wide to clear your swingarm.

Best,
DeVern

Note that there were two wheel widths available for the K1200RS/GT bikes: 5.0” and 5.5”. The latter were standard on the GT bikes and could potentially be too wide to clear your swingarm.

Best,
DeVern

Indeed! Back around 2000 so many K1200RS buyers were opting to get the 5.5" wheels that the 5" ones were just taking up space in dealer parts departments. I bought two brand new never used 5" take-offs for $50 each.

For the R1100RS you need the 5 inch variety.

Back