Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 94 R 1100RS Wheels

  1. #1
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    821

    94 R 1100RS Wheels

    Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with my lasted motorcycle adventure. Fork seal repaired, Halls Effect Sensor upgraded, cam chain tensioner upgrade, fluids change, new front brakes and more. Leaking Ohlins rear shock ready for pick u p tomorrow, so now I'm turning my attention to new tires. It seems at one point there was a discussion here about changing out the rear 18 inch wheel for a 17 inch due to the better availability of 17 inch tires. This is something I'd be interested in doing and wonder if anyone could recommend a 17 inch wheel replacement that would easily swap out. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Neglected Bike Adopter
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    100
    As far as I have read (and I have not done this swap myself but plan to in the future) the best single rear wheel swap is the 17x5 inch, 5 spoke, cast aluminum wheel from the K1200LT and K1200RS. It must be a wheel that has no brake disc mounting posts.

    Other than that, a swap to a pair of R1100GS spoked tubeless wheels would yield a 17-inch rear, but also an 18-inch front.

    I have yet to find any clear information as to whether it needs any change in lateral spacing shims on your R1100RS (stock on the K12's it had 1 shim between the wheel and hub), but quite a few swappers have found that you need the longer lug bolts from the original bike to fit it to yours.

    Our own Mr. Largiader has a full writeup on it on his website: http://largiader.com/parts/wheels.html
    Owner of the saddest 1997 R850R you ever did see.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by htomsett View Post
    As far as I have read (and I have not done this swap myself but plan to in the future) the best single rear wheel swap is the 17x5 inch, 5 spoke, cast aluminum wheel from the K1200LT and K1200RS. It must be a wheel that has no brake disc mounting posts.

    Other than that, a swap to a pair of R1100GS spoked tubeless wheels would yield a 17-inch rear, but also an 18-inch front.

    I have yet to find any clear information as to whether it needs any change in lateral spacing shims on your R1100RS (stock on the K12's it had 1 shim between the wheel and hub), but quite a few swappers have found that you need the longer lug bolts from the original bike to fit it to yours.

    Our own Mr. Largiader has a full writeup on it on his website: http://largiader.com/parts/wheels.html
    Use the same spacer as used on both the K12 bikes and the R1100RS. There is one significant difference. The bolts needed for the K1200 wheels are 5mm in length different than those OEM on the R1100RS. I forget whether longer or shorter but 5mm different so you need 4 bolts. I interchange the 18 and 17 inch wheels on Voni's R1100RS so have two sets of bolts of the correct lengths for the different wheels.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Use the same spacer as used on both the K12 bikes and the R1100RS. There is one significant difference. The bolts needed for the K1200 wheels are 5mm in length different than those OEM on the R1100RS. I forget whether longer or shorter but 5mm different so you need 4 bolts. I interchange the 18 and 17 inch wheels on Voni's R1100RS so have two sets of bolts of the correct lengths for the different wheels.
    Great. I'll start looking for a extra K1200 rear wheel 👍

  5. #5
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    Great. I'll start looking for a extra K1200 rear wheel 👍
    Note that there were two wheel widths available for the K1200RS/GT bikes: 5.0” and 5.5”. The latter were standard on the GT bikes and could potentially be too wide to clear your swingarm.

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Note that there were two wheel widths available for the K1200RS/GT bikes: 5.0” and 5.5”. The latter were standard on the GT bikes and could potentially be too wide to clear your swingarm.

    Best,
    DeVern
    Indeed! Back around 2000 so many K1200RS buyers were opting to get the 5.5" wheels that the 5" ones were just taking up space in dealer parts departments. I bought two brand new never used 5" take-offs for $50 each.

    For the R1100RS you need the 5 inch variety.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Similar Threads

  1. 96 1100RS Fairing fasteners
    By flydad in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-30-2020, 02:44 AM
  2. Trade Spoke Wheels for Cast Wheels
    By chewbacca in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2017, 04:38 PM
  3. Replacing snowflake wheels to spoked wheels...
    By lucky23 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
  4. 1100RS vs RT Debate
    By pcbuss in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
  5. 1100RS brakes
    By KARSTEN in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •