• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final drive leaks oil 99 RT

Gregory

I have a 99 RT that leaks oil from the vent cap on the top of the final drive. It only happens on long trips when the bike is loaded up with extra weight ( camping gear, etc. ) I have made sure the fluid level is at the correct level and that the vent cap is clear and unobstructed. It pukes oil from the vent cap which gets all over the rear rim and sides of the tire which is a PITA to clean up not to mention a possible safety issue. Any insights for a possible cause/fix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gregory

How have you verified lube level-drain and fill to spec per the manual, or inspection at the fill plug? What type and viscosity of gear lube are you running?

Best,
DeVern

How have you verified lube level-drain and fill to spec per the manual, or inspection at the fill plug? What type and viscosity of gear lube are you running?

Best,
DeVern

I'm running Redline Shock proof since day 1. Has 90w viscosity. Fill final to spec. which is to the bottom of the fill plug threads.

The most common causes I’ve seen for pushing gear lube out the vent are over-filling or incorrect viscosity, exacerbated by high-speed running with a stone cold FD unit. BMW spec for that drive is 75w-90, and while Redline offers three different levels of Shockproof, in their advertising and sales materials none of them are clearly labeled with a viscosity, only a loose viscosity comparison. The first BMW I had (and still have) was parked in an unheated space and on a cold morning (30F or so) would push lube out the breather if not warmed up at low speed. The temporary fix was switching to a synthetic 75w-90 lube after draining while warm and refilling with the specified (updated) quantity of lube. Long-term fix was an insulated garage that never gets below 45F or so, and since it has been quite happy with Castrol 75w-90.

If it were my bike I’d do a warm drain and a refill with the correct quantity of verified-viscosity lube—and check the SI bulletins for any updates on quantity then ride it to see what happens. Syntrax 75w-90 if you want to stay with synth. You’re out only a qt of fluid and a couple of crush washers should you elect to switch back.

Just my $0.02,
DeVern

The most common causes I’ve seen for pushing gear lube out the vent are over-filling or incorrect viscosity, exacerbated by high-speed running with a stone cold FD unit. BMW spec for that drive is 75w-90, and while Redline offers three different levels of Shockproof, in their advertising and sales materials none of them are clearly labeled with a viscosity, only a loose viscosity comparison. The first BMW I had (and still have) was parked in an unheated space and on a cold morning (30F or so) would push lube out the breather if not warmed up at low speed. The temporary fix was switching to a synthetic 75w-90 lube after draining while warm and refilling with the specified (updated) quantity of lube. Long-term fix was an insulated garage that never gets below 45F or so, and since it has been quite happy with Castrol 75w-90.

If it were my bike I’d do a warm drain and a refill with the correct quantity of verified-viscosity lube—and check the SI bulletins for any updates on quantity then ride it to see what happens. Syntrax 75w-90 if you want to stay with synth. You’re out only a qt of fluid and a couple of crush washers should you elect to switch back.

Just my $0.02,
DeVern

If filling to fill line I believe you are putting too much fluid. 180 ml has been a standard which is what I have been putting in my 94 RS. At 180 ml, I was not at the fill line. Sounds to me like when it's getting really hot, it's building up too much pressure and blowing like a pressure cooker relief valve. Check your manual for the exact ml amount you should be adding and go with that amount. See if you have better results.

Thanks to everyone for the reply's. Interesting part is it never seeps from the vent when there is no extra weight on the bike just when its loaded up with gear for a long ride. I'm going to drain the FD and fill it with a different 75-90w to the exact mil. measurement. and see what happens. Thanks again, Gregory

I referenced My Haynes manual and it says the FD takes 230 ml. Can someone clarify which is the correct amount 230ml or 180ml. Thanks

230 is the old number from the BMW service manual, but Haynes doesn't update their books very often. Their torque values are another gross example of this.
I just take it up to a hair below the bottom of the threads with the bike on the centerstand.
Never had an issue (incl. multiple coast-to-coast and Mexico to Canada trips, where the bike was certainly loaded up)... and I always used a quality 75W-90, GL-5 rated juice. NOT GL-4...
Maybe your choice of oil simply has a higher coefficient of expansion when hot than what is expected or typical -?

Back