• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grizzly bear pulls California woman out of tent in Montana, kills her

That is indeed awful. People forget that the only thing you bring in your tent is you and your sleeping gear and nothing else, incl the clothing you wore when cooking.... Being in bear territory means that you have to be extra careful and be as far removed from food as possible. These animals don't know any better and need to be treated with respect.

^ Not really but each to their own...:nod
I slept plenty of times in bear country and never had an issue. Common sense goes a long way as well as a can of bear spray.. :deal

A distant memory but I seem to recall around the time of the Gillette National, several years ago, that a BMW rider making his way west after the rally had a similar encounter with similar results near Cook City, or Cooked City as we called it in ‘88. Nothing wrong with camping in bear country as long as you’re bearwise.

I too camp in bear country and will be back in it on my trip down the Trans Taiga in September.

Reminds me of meeting a couple who were attacked in Glacier National Park, they came to speak to our SAR group. Listening to them tell their story and looking at them and the scars on their faces brought it home in a very literal sense! This is the book the woman wrote. She eventually committed suicide as a direct result.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/744889.The_Bear_s_Embrace

I too camp in bear country and will be back in it on my trip down the Trans Taiga in September.

Reminds me of meeting a couple who were attacked in Glacier National Park, they came to speak to our SAR group. Listening to them tell their story and looking at them and the scars on their faces brought it home in a very literal sense! This is the book the woman wrote. She eventually committed suicide as a direct result.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/744889.The_Bear_s_Embrace

Good reminder to get some repellent (I don't know if it works but better than nothing and "carrying" is frowned upon in state parks and some states). My last repellent can was confiscated at the Canadian border- they guy said it was a concealed weapon- I might hide it in my hand and use it on another human- apparently the Canadian Bear repellent is in a larger container. Best defense is probably not to attract them in the first place. Reminds me of the time hiking in the high peaks I hung the food from a tree and at about 3AM we heard a bear thrashing around- he had gotten tangled in the rope. Fortunately he (she?) didn't need my help to untangle...It was tense in the tents for a while!

I have a bear bag for hanging food away from tents and I have a can of bear spray that will live close to hand when we get travelling in bear territory.

Good reminder to get some repellent (I don't know if it works but better than nothing and "carrying" is frowned upon in state parks and some states). My last repellent can was confiscated at the Canadian border- they guy said it was a concealed weapon- I might hide it in my hand and use it on another human- apparently the Canadian Bear repellent is in a larger container.

Animal Attack Deterrent Spray approved in Canada generally comes in a canister about the size of a small fire extinguisher. The lipstick tube size spray is considered a weapon and wouldn't stop a bear anyway. Too little too late. The real stuff will spray 30 feet. A bear is not the same threat as a mugger at a gas pump at your local stop n rob store.

On my 2018 trip to Alaska I of course made several border crossings and was never asked about bear spray until my side trip to Hyder AK. At the border crossing back to BC a very pretty Canadian border guard asked specifically if I had bear spray to which I replied yes. She said “you know your required to declare that” to which I said no I didn’t know that. I asked if she wanted to see it but she said no. I left a little confused as to why she’d ask about it but not want see it. I was carrying the UDAP brand which according to their website is approved for Canada.

My last repellent can was confiscated at the Canadian border- they guy said it was a concealed weapon- I might hide it in my hand and use it on another human- apparently the Canadian Bear repellent is in a larger container.

I have been carrying a Canadian Bear Spray container back and forth across the US/Canadian borders for years (fortunately never had cause to use it) and only once was I asked if I had any with me (at a Canadian port of entry). Replied, "Yes, I often camp in bear country." No further action or question by that custom officer. Most likely depends on the individual you are dealing with as to whether you keep it or not. :dunno

I have a well travelled can of animal spray that has crossed the border at least 70 times in the past 12 years. Occasionally get asked about it when entering Canada but never asked to produce it. I do not recall a US Agent ever asking about it.

Mine crossed the border back and forth through Alaska and I don't recall anyone asking if I had any bear spray. Then again I didn't bring it up either.

When I made the trek to the arctic circle in 18, I bought the Canadian approved bear spray. Company is in Montana

I am often asked by Canadian border agents if I have any weapons. I reply, "No, but I do have a canister of bear spray." Usually they just say "OK, thanks" or something similar.

I am often asked by Canadian border agents if I have any weapons. I reply, "No, but I do have a canister of bear spray." Usually they just say "OK, thanks" or something similar.

Exactly.

The only follow-up question I’ve ever been asked was container size, large or small, and they have always been satisfied with the “large” answer. All of the genuine bear spray cannisters I’ve ever seen on either side of the border were the larger size and clearly labeled as “bear spray”.

Best,
DeVern

Bear Spray is for idea conditions...

It's been stated that nobody "sleeping" in a pup tent has ever got off a shot of spray that found it's target... the bear.

When they come through the tent wall and rip you out... probably just s--- stains in sleeping bags, with the bear spray canister having collected in the far end of the tent material as it is dragged and flung about.
That's what they find.
A sleeping human in a tent, with the odor that triggers a violent bear attack... your like a fresh chicken wrap!

As prey, the bear doesn't stalk your dammed toe's.
They know where your head is (your breathing) and attack that area from near silence in their quest... of your end of life.

Now; try waking up under terrifying conditions, find the bear spray canister and position in both hands to remove the safety,
hold correctly and aim effectively... by missing the tent material flying about and spray awhile (no.. you don't get that amount of time!)
... at something you can't see, while massive force is crushing your skull and limbs, and as the horrific pain begins.
If your lucky... you'll "season" the bear's meat (you) with enough repellent spray so the bear won't like the taste.
Most aren't lucky.
Odds aren't good for combating an attack out of a small tent.

Under these conditions, I like the small air horn in one hand and the open knife in the other.
Bears hate a sudden sharp deafening blast of noise; and a serious knife has a "chance" of wound damage that may cause retreat.
Neither are easy to sleep with, considering anything literally must be on your fingertips to be effective.

I hate bears... food-chain issues.

Bears are attracted to food

AS PO's have said,"Bears are attracted to food." Never take food or anything that smells like food into your tent and always carry bear spray in Bear Country. Things other than food not to take along are cosmetics; all you want them to smell is you. Most of the time they want to stay away from you.

When backpacking or motorcycling in Bear Country I always carry a bear proof food canister. At night we always placed that canister at least 20-30 feet away from the tent. My daughter and I laid in our tent one night on Mt. Whitney and watched a black bear for over an hour trying to pick up that canister. It's cylindrical in shape and slick and there was no way that bear could carry it off, but he tried and tried; it was comical. The bear never once ventured near our tent but if it had, well I was a boy scout.

... My daughter and I laid in our tent one night on Mt. Whitney and watched a black bear for over an hour trying to pick up that canister. It's cylindrical in shape and slick and there was no way that bear could carry it off, but he tried and tried; it was comical. The bear never once ventured near our tent but if it had, well I was a boy scout.

In scouting I learned all those ways to tie a knot too, but I still couldn't tie up a bear. :)

Back