• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad Updates...Lots of Detail

As ExGMan states, lot's of detail indeed!

Although carrying a gold finish I note that the brake calipers on the RT shown do NOT include the name Brembo on them.

I see that the RT description includes "active cruise control". I dunno; we've got that on the wife's Benz. I'm not sold on it as being that much of an improvement over the dumber system on other cars and bikes. YMMV.

Although carrying a gold finish I note that the brake calipers on the RT shown do NOT include the name Brembo on them.

I see that the RT description includes "active cruise control". I dunno; we've got that on the wife's Benz. I'm not sold on it as being that much of an improvement over the dumber system on other cars and bikes. YMMV.

MM does V Have it on the GLE and I like it- I find long trips a little less tiring...however- not sure I'd want it on a bike...not entirely sure why- fear of overconfident distraction? So as far as the bike goes...I agree. Could be cool for some folks though.

There is a 2021 RT with gold brakes in the local showroom, says brembo on the side.

Dealers are replacing the Hayes calipers for Brembo.
Not sure what the calipers are in the 2022 RT pictures.
They don't look like Hayes or Brembo.

Interesting how many models in the current range use outsourced drivetrains.
For the 3 engines still assembled by BMW, I wonder where those parts come from?
Not a big deal, lots of companies are outsourcing these days to cut cost.
It would be nice if bike manufacturers reported content sourcing like cars, though.

Also, no 1600?

Dealers are replacing the Hayes calipers for Brembo.
Not sure what the calipers are in the 2022 RT pictures.
They don't look like Hayes or Brembo.

Here's a PNG of the 2022 R1250RS front brake:

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 11.40.37 AM.png

...and then a PNG of the 2022 RT front brake:

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 11.40.19 AM.png

Hard to say who makes that RT caliper.
Maybe someone will recognize it.

Well….. I hope they chose the “NoLeaky caliper Co.”. Going goofy with another caliper recall may lose some of the faithful. :brad
OM

This may be an ominous clue. I found this by Googling "Motorcycle Brake Calipers":

View attachment 84411

Yep, your previous picture looks like a Hayes caliper without BMW written on it.

Maybe the picture BMW used in the 2022 update link is a Euro picture.
Seems strange they would use Brembo in the US and Hayes in other countries.

The brake thing is probably just a branding issue.
BMW probably doesn’t want “Brembo” on the calipers any more than they want “TVS” or “Loncin” on the engine cases. Brembo might be big enough to argue the point.

The brake thing is probably just a branding issue.
BMW probably doesn’t want “Brembo” on the calipers any more than they want “TVS” or “Loncin” on the engine cases. Brembo might be big enough to argue the point.

Having Brembo brakes rather than Hayes ought to be viewed as a selling point. :scratch

Regarding active cruise control ...

I hate it as well, but the fact is it's easily considered a safety feature and if a safety feature exists it's going to be on BMW motorcycles. Liability. The old "what did he know and when did he know it" thing. BMW probably leads everyone in worrying about it's liability. The old no more SYSTEM helmets in the USA thing. It's basically a privately owned company so liability is clear.

I have a ‘21 RT and am thoroughly enjoying the bike. I like the radar cruise control, adds a bit of safety IMO. The TFT has great promise and I await the major update scheduled for September that is supposed to address connectivity issues. I don’t find it reliable enough to depend on it through a trip of any duration. Fortunately all of my multi-day trips are with someone who also has a Nav 6, which I program with the same routes and when the TFT stops working they take over. I have yet to have a multi-hour trip where I did not lose connectivity. I would have liked a rear radar like Ducati for blind spot monitoring. Like all things mechanical a work in progress and different strokes…I also would have taken the triple black over the white I have.

It could be the pic is shows a Hayes caliper with the BMW logo photoshopped out because they haven't locked down the caliper supplier. Be wary of reading too much into a picture in an announcement advertisement.

What twisted logic does one use to arrive at a conclusion that BMW would use a Brembo caliper on one side and some other manufacturers product on the other side?

Seriously?

What twisted logic does one use to arrive at a conclusion that BMW would use a Brembo caliper on one side and some other manufacturers product on the other side?

Seriously?

If you're looking at the photos from the Motorrad blurb...the Brembo on the wheel left side is on a 2022 RS and the gold caliper on the wheel right side with no name is on a 2022 RT.

If you're looking at the photos from the Motorrad blurb...the Brembo on the wheel left side is on a 2022 RS and the gold caliper on the wheel right side with no name is on a 2022 RT.

I was wondering what John was talking about.

Last edited:
Back