Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jedz - 1996 R1100R Build / Modification Documentation!

Quote Originally Posted by htomsett View Post
    I'll trade you for a set of 3-spoke aluminum wheels!

I had never thought of hand-repainting those plastic spark plug covers. That looks pretty neat. That might be a good option for all my sun-bleached parts. What paint did you use?

If you're plating your metal fasteners and already have the electrical setup for home electroplating, you should strongly consider electrolysis as a method of rust removal. It can literally convert certain iron oxide compounds back into elemental iron instead of simply removing them like abrasive or chemical rust removal, and if you're plating at home you already have the means to do it.

What are you planning to do about the seat foam and vinyl? I'm thinking about recovering my seat with bulk marine vinyl and would like to hear what your ideas are.
    No trade! These rims are pretty cool so I think at this time I'll attempt to restore them. A good friend of mine told me they take to powder coat so I may go down that route.

I'm trying a brasing technique which requires a freshly exposed surface. If it works great! If not than I'll move onto replacing with stainless hardware.

The seat is such a hot mess in design. I plan to attempt to convert the 2 peice seat into a single seat. I'll make a Jedz Moto video of that process as I'm sure other may want to emulate it. I've done a couple other seats with foam and vinyl which is what I'll be doing. I won't be doing any special stitching.

Paint is an automotive enamel sealed with an epoxy 2 part (2K) clear coat that I use when I paint bikes.

Best,
    Jedz
    1996 BMR R1100R - The Vermont Roadster () 2018 triumph Bonneville T120 - The Ole' Bonnie
    2016 Yamaha Tracer 900/FJ-09 - The Fazer 900 Jedz Edition () 2021 Honda Monkey - Just Bananas!

Update!

So the project is really coming along well. I painted the rims and brass coated nearly all the exposed hardware that was all rusted out. I also wire brushed the front forks and repainted them. Bike is looking GOOD. I'm very happy with how things are looking. Next project will be the custom seat. I've got brown vinyl coming in to match the new brown grips. I love how the bar needs look. The bike just looks stellar... IMO.
    Also thinking about a custom paint job or color change... Going to sleep on it though.
    Just a before and after of the rust removal and rebrass finish:
    Before
    20210725_185134.jpg
    After
    20210725_191908.jpg

And some final pics after the detail work:
    20210725_134933~2.jpg
    20210727_135344~2.jpg
    20210727_135400.jpg
    20210727_135437~2.jpg
    20210727_135425~2.jpg

I also Swapped out the pads when I dissembled to detail and inspect the calipers...
    20210726_141104.jpg

Best,
    Jedz
    1996 BMR R1100R - The Vermont Roadster () 2018 triumph Bonneville T120 - The Ole' Bonnie
    2016 Yamaha Tracer 900/FJ-09 - The Fazer 900 Jedz Edition () 2021 Honda Monkey - Just Bananas!

Good by (dis)comfort seat, hello comfortable bench.

Today I decided to get rid of the two preice bucket ball smasher seat and make a 1 price bench seat. It was actually really easy to do. To note that I have one of the more comfortable bike seats I've made (I've done this with a Concours 14 and Bandit 1200). So my method may seem crude and up for scrutiny but damn it makes one hell of a comfortable seat that true may not have the finesse of a custom seat but it's comfortable and holds up to the elements just fine

So step one is to join the pans I took off the vinyl which clearly was replaced at some point. And used simple screws to join the 2 seats. How they interlock meant I had no need for metal braces or joints. They joined very easily andhen screwed together madeq solid pan
    20210729_085321.jpg
    20210729_085328.jpg

Next to get rid of the tail bone back support thing that forces you into a crotched ball crushing position. So with the heat knives I removed the foam so I could start to build a flat bench seat.
    20210729_085532.jpg

I used seat foam bricks to build the basic parts bench. True it looks crude but it's all about creating a flat wide seat to ensure comfort.
    20210729_093230.jpg

Once I got the height correct I then cut with the hot knife to make the bench height and pitch perfect. After this I start to fill in the holes and fill and smooth and ready for the comfort foam layer.
    20210729_094047.jpg

The comfort foam layer is than applied and I finally got to sit on the seat and adjust if needed. Once perfect I glued the comfort layer on.
    20210729_095208.jpg

Than it's time to put the Vinyl on. I chose brown I think I'll end up keeping the color. Allot of stretch and folding to make it look good. But all of a sudden bam we have a benc! I added the rear cargo net to give some definition to the seat but the bench is awesome and comfortable. Big but that's to be expected I'm half tempted to drop the seat off at a marine reupholster to add stitching but the foam, height and pitch is perfect. I went for a long ride and boy was it COMFORTABLE!

20210729_103452~2.jpg

Best,
    Jedz

Custom made oil temp gauge filler cap

So I really wanted a means to see what my oil temps were I started to fiddle with the idea of making a custom temp gauge filler cap for my oil head. Obviously they make no such thing so I decided to give it a whack myself. It was pretty straight forward, you want a short thermometer and you use the stock oil cap. the longer oil sticks for HD DO NOT work as they will interfere with the rocker arm.

So I sourced a coolant reservoir cap from ebay as I knew they had the shorter thermo in those radiator caps. I went with a C' temp gauge as I now both F and C well enough and the price was just right!

Link to radiator cap

So for $10 I made myself a fully functional thermometer cap. It was easy, planed down the R11100R oil cap and drilled a hole at an angle so to clear the rocker assembly. I than cut the radiator cap tabs to free the thermometer, with a heat gun and a little prying with a flat head screwdriver the thermometer came right out. I was actually impressed with the thermometer quality. I did do a boiling water test and sure enough 100' C at boiling which made me happy the gauge was accurate up to 212' F

Used some Yama Bond I use on 2 stroke engines to create the seal against the cap and the gauge sensor stem. I used JB weld and JB stick weld to bond the gauge in the position I liked, once all 3 bonds cured I sanded and applied a band of tape to give a more uniform look. For 10 bucks, you can't knock it and I think it looks great on my build.

It comes on and off easily and it's very easy to read from the cockpit. Nice to have some numbers to look at with my oil cooler cleanup.

So I went for 150 mile ride in the valleys, mountains and gaps to see how the temps looked on the bike.

The bike like to sit at 75 C (170ish F) at idle once warm. Cruising the bike tends to move from 75C to just under 80C (170-175ish F) is where it spent the most of it's day. I did push the bike hard up the a mountain pass to see how high it would go, the highest I saw was 90'C which is 195'F. I'm not 100% sure how hot is too hot for this bike but I do know my Bandit 1200 was happy all day at 100C so I'm not biting my nails in the slightest... If anything this bike seems to run pretty cool for an "oil boiler"/

Pics of my 150 mile ride.

The seat cosmetically is growing on me... I'm not 100% in love with the look but boy am I in love with the comfort!!! I did a 150 miles on the BMW than did a 100 miles on my Bonneville and wanted to have my BMW seat back. I did order a stock R850R seat to have on hand (just in case and for better cosmetic shots). I absolutely love this motorcycle. It runs like a dream and is just a true gem to ride....

Well I'm off to work. Sorry for updating my thread here but the project continues!

Best,
    Jedz

So impressed with your ability to do stuff like this...wish I lived closer I'd be hanging around your garage.

SPP
    Member # 222067

Good job; looks like U made it a fun bike to ride.

Left Coast Rider
    Your temp gauge will give you an idea of how hot your valve cover is. And your seat, well, I can't unsee that. But heck, its your bike and you seem to be enjoying yourself so have at it.

Seat Part DEUX

So I took the bench off and I'm going to send it in for a custom vinyl job I think. It's comfy but it really is not fitting the bike as well as I hoped.

So after about 3 hours or 150 mile of riding I can say I really enjoy this RT seat I fabbed to give me some extra height. Snagged it off Fleabay and no it was not a direct fitment, but with some cutting, reshaping and custom mounts I got the seat to fit in a position that offers good comfort and yet retains more stock appearance. The seat pan is definitely more comfortable and I do like how it looks on the bike. Sure you can see my Motobatt battery but it fits the bike well.

Bike is running great, Coming up to 68K miles which means I've put nearly 3K miles on it. It's a fair weather riding roadster only. Fun bike to ride for sure.

20210809_130850_2.jpg
    20210809_130911.jpg

Keep you posted.
    Jedz