• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

how long will it take me?

jimbem

I"m trying to plan my route for thursdays ride. We already have a room in Red Lodge Mt. for wensday night. Thursday we want to ride the Bear Tooth highway south to the Chief Josef highway down to Cody. And then up to Powell for the night. Has someone whos done this ride please tell me approximatly how long that it will take?

140 miles, 2 1/2 hours if you like the curves, 3 hours otherwise.

That's just moving time and doesn't include stops like at the Top of The World Store.

I'll be there!

/Guenther

I agree with Guenther. On normal secondary road touring, I use 45 mph as my guesstimate, so the 140 miles is going to be 3 hours. Given the scenery, I'd be inclined to cut the rate in half or at least 30 mph to account for stoppage time, slow vehicles in front. So somewhere between 4-1/2 to 5 hours.

I agree with slowing down with the nice scenery around. At my last warning for speeding the officer let me go with a good advice: ...slow down and enjoy the scenery! :bow

Also by noon you may encounter thunderstorms (=hail) on top of Beartooth pass.

From the bottom of the Chief Joseph Pass to Powell it's all flat with a bit of a slowdown through Cody with trillions on there way to the Yellowstone NP. :eek

/Guenther

Like others have said, three hours, or all day if you stop and enjoy the views, and you will want to stop! We generally leave Red Lodge about 8 AM and get into Cody about 1 PM, but we don't stop much after 15 trips out there.

We are getting ready to pack up and leave for that area. We will leave Red Lodge and ride over to Ranchester in a day.

I usually look at what Google Maps shows for time and add our subtract time based on how fast we think we'll ride and how much we want to stop for pictures and points of interest.

Google Maps shows 3 hours 13 minutes for your route. 137 miles.
Based on speed limits and no stops.

Back