• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

National Parks Senior Pass and Concessionaires

dbrick

rabid reader
My wife and I are out on the Oregon coast. Today we went to the Tillicum Beach Campground, just north of Yachats, to walk on the beach.

Tilicum Beach Campground is a unit of the Siuslaw National Forest. I proffered my Senior Pass (formally: "National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass") and was nicely told that it didn't apply as this particular facility was operated by concession. I was surprised. After a moment of silence, the gatekeeper said "Oh, never mind, go on in and have a nice time." We did.

When we returned to our lodging, I read the back of the card, which noted that the card "may not cover concession facilities." So they seem to be on firm ground legally, but I was surprised, not having had this experience previously.

Have others run into this before?

The National Park Service and the National Forest Service are under two separate government agencies, Dept of the Interior and Dept of Agriculture, respectively. That's why your senior pass didn't work. I have the same issue where I live. The Shenandoah National Park (NPS) is 5 miles in one direction and Sherando Lake Rec Area (NFS) is 10 the the direction. I had to buy an annual pass to use Sherando so I can take my dog swimming there. It's government bureaucracy at its finest.

The National Park Service and the National Forest Service are under two separate government agencies, Dept of the Interior and Dept of Agriculture, respectively. That's why your senior pass didn't work. I have the same issue where I live. The Shenandoah National Park (NPS) is 5 miles in one direction and Sherando Lake Rec Area (NFS) is 10 the the direction. I had to buy an annual pass to use Sherando so I can take my dog swimming there. It's government bureaucracy at its finest.

I think there must be some other difference, or you were given bad info.

What does the Senior Pass provide?
Annual and lifetime Senior Passes provide access to more than 2,000 recreation sites managed by six federal agencies:

National Park Service
US Fish & Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
US Forest Service
US Army Corps of Engineers
The passes cover entrance and standard amenity (day-use) recreation fees and provide discounts on some expanded amenity recreation fees.

2021SeniorLifetime_0.png

About your Senior Pass
$80 lifetime pass, plus a $10 processing fee. An annual senior pass is also available.
Please note that the price of the lifetime Senior Pass increased to $80 on August 28, 2017. Also, a new $20 annual Senior Pass became available at the same time. Click HERE for more information regarding the changes in the Senior Pass Program.
For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.
May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using the application form.
Provides entrance or access to pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle at Federal operated recreation sites across the country.
Photo identification may be required to verify ownership.
Passes are NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERABLE, and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail is ninety dollars ($90). Eighty ($80) for the Senior Pass and ten ($10) for processing the application. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship. If you cannot order a Senior pass online, you can submit a Paper Application by mail to the USGS using the paper application and enclosing the same documents and $90 fee.
May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.
Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
Additional Info
Golden Access and Golden Age Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass.

Recreation Fees vary widely across the thousands of Federal Recreation sites. Please contact specific sites directly for information on what is or is not covered by the passes.

For questions about the pass, contact 1-888-ASK-USGS and press 2. (888-275-8747, Option 2), or fedrecpass@usgs.gov

Interesting. At Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley there are two campgrounds litterally separated by a dirt burn, one is a concession the other is NP. We have stayed at the concession twice and both time my Senior pass has been honored and we were given a 50% discount, just like the NP, although the cost was different than the NP. BTW these were camping fees.

Dave, et al - Please take a look at this URL: https://www.recreation.gov/pass/

Perhaps a printout of the page would convince some officious "concessionaire?"

I agree, John. The back of my pass (in tiny print) does contain a list of the participating agencies that includes both the Departments of Agriculture and Interior. Seems from all the data that day use is likely covered.

In any event, she reversed course before I could pull actual cash out of my wallet. And she may not have known that the card I had, which has not been issued for several years, covers her agency as well.

I think there must be some other difference, or you were given bad info.

What does the Senior Pass provide?
Annual and lifetime Senior Passes provide access to more than 2,000 recreation sites managed by six federal agencies:

National Park Service
US Fish & Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
US Forest Service
US Army Corps of Engineers
The passes cover entrance and standard amenity (day-use) recreation fees and provide discounts on some expanded amenity recreation fees.

I agree. I suspect she didn't know that the Pass applied to her department as well as to the NPS.

Back