• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tricks for re-keying the "Factory" case locks

natrab

Trying to save myself the 3 x $70 cost of ordering the re-keyable lock cylinders for my wife's R1200R. I managed to get the cap off one of the old cylinders to pull out the stupid locking bar, but mauled it so bad in the process that there's no way I could put it back together. They are staked into the body pretty well and I have yet to find a set of pliers or device to get them off without damaging them. Appreciate any advice.

You can check the bottom of the page. The Tag Cloud has some help as well.
OM

I need to make a lock video. That one is painful, and ten minutes of that?

OP, you mentioned the wafers being staked in. I haven’t seen staked in wafers since the old single-sided K and Airhead locks. Can you post a pic?

The 1200's have a small brass rod that retains the tumblers that removes from under the cap.
PITA to get the cap off nicely - doable but requires patience.
I did not take pictures the last time, sorry.

I've re-keyed plenty of those later side-cut ones (including R1200R side cases) and have never encountered that. The wafers I have do have the notch in the side where I assume that retention rod goes, but I've never had a wafer that didn't just slip out. Maybe they started using that rod later on.

Hi. Sorry I didn't clarify earlier. I'm very familiar with rekeying the lock barrels. The difference is that my cases came with the factory locks that are keyed from the factory and have a metal bar going through all the wafers that prevents them from being removed to be re-keyed. The crimped on plate has to be removed to remove the bar and allow the wafers to be released. San Jose BMW did it for me once before and it would save me a significant amount to rekey the locks I have vs buying new ones (which are around $70 each nowadays).

I don't know why I haven't run into this yet. Maybe I've mostly done the smaller lock barrels, like the aluminum bags and the fuel caps usually use, which don't have the rod.

If you have parts, I'm pretty sure you can put those wafers into older non-rod barrels from the 1100/1150 era. That is probably what I did for the R1200R bags I have done. I will check that next time I'm at the shop. I might have some barrels I can send you.

Back