• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RT Service Light

charlesodle

The service light came on at 153K miles. I always have the service done, on time, every 6K so it is not due until 156K. What would cause that?

Congratulations on 153K!
I would have it hooked up to a computer (GS911 or dealer) and have the codes checked. If the bike is still running fine, I would guess a sensor has gone bad.
OM

Or, the last time it was serviced the mechanic set the wrong km and/or date for the next service.

Have you unhooked the battery recently?

Greetings: I have a 2015 and, after disconnecting the battery to add a pigtail, the service light came on. I posed the question on this forum and learned that it will do that and stay on until you reset the clock or put in the Navigator. The same thing happened when I replaced the battery. Hope it is as easy a fix as this!

So, on the Royal Enfield Himalayan to turn off service light...push mode button, hold, turn on ignition, keep holding till light goes out...
BMW: Buy 3-700$ GS911....and cables...or...schedule service at $100/hr and up.

Just sayin'
yesh yesh I know...they're different bikes, that's why I own both, But I had to comment, call me perverse.

The service light came on at 153K miles. I always have the service done, on time, every 6K so it is not due until 156K. What would cause that?

The service light does not come on every 6,000 miles on the odometer. It comes on 6,000 miles after the last time the service light was reset. It will also come on one year after the last service.
To be exact the light comes on 10,000 kilometers or 6,214 miles after the light was reset.

I reset my service light last June (2020), because Covid was keeping me off the road. I had only ridden about 2k miles since the 2019 service. My service light started to remind me of the 1 year anniversary of my last reset while on the way to Great Falls. On the way back, I went over the 6000 miles since last service, and the light came on and stayed on for the last two days of the return trip. At least it switched from bright yelllow (annoying) to a dark gray (easy to ignore while riding).

Bike is now in for the 30K service (at 31.5k miles). If I had remembered my cable/OBD reader, I would have reset the service reminder at the rally, using my MotoScan software.

Wow, that is some serious mileage! Can you mention what if any repairs you've had to do? Did you own the bike from new?

It may be different now, but at least up till the hexhead the service light came on for when it was set. The dealer could set it for more than 1 year or 6k if they wanted/directed to do so.

Obd ii

I have an Automotive OBD II scanner. I have used it to diagnose and reset the Check Engine light in my car. Will this work on my 2017 R1200RT or do I really need the GS911?

Congratulations on 153K!
I would have it hooked up to a computer (GS911 or dealer) and have the codes checked. If the bike is still running fine, I would guess a sensor has gone bad.
OM

My understanding of the lights is this:
Check Engine Light - triggered when anomalies are detected
Service Light - triggered on a mileage and time schedule, independent of anything else.​

Back