• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another . . . but slightly different . . . oil discussion . . . !

pmariana

Hi all, this isn't directed at one engine/bike type, so I wanted to put it here to catch a majority of owners,

there is an issue of many bike's owner's manuals from the past few years, having a comment in the oil section that refers confusingly to a prohibition from oil additives, and an example is given that mentions Molybdenum as an additive - problem is, BMW doesn't make it sufficiently clear (lots of putative reasons why, in discussions all over the 'net) what they mean by additives . . .

so, being a chemistry lover (don't bother with snide comments, my skin's too thick!) and a fervent user/believer from the past in the Ester family (we all know them well), I sent in virgin samples of my favourite Motul oils, a 5w40 7100 and the same weight of 300V (my ultimate goal, after warranty). I also sent in a virgin sample of the BMW Advantec 5w40 ("Ultimate", I think that they call it) so as to compare, amongst other things, the amount of elemental Molybdenum in each, so as to at least know whether a user of the Motuls would be using more Mo than in the BMW (probably Shell's gas-to-liquid oil, seems the main opinion).

It turns out that in fact the BMW oil is employing some form/forms of Mo that come out to approx. almost 5 times as much as the Motul sisters (161 ppm versus the Motul's 33 ppm). So anyone choosing to try a 7100 or 300V (300V changed every 3000 mi to keep it in the good form it was intended by Motul) can rest knowing that, as far as current production lots go at least, they are not using an oil with too high a Mo level (measured as elemental Mo, not saying what actual form/s were added to the oil)

It also adds some support to the notion that BMW was perhaps stating by their word "Additives" that they meant anything added to the oil after departing the factory, rather than as part of an additive package blended in by the original manufacturer . . . though that's still unclear unfortunately (yes, I know of the discussion elsewhere having a letter back from a local BMW rep. about this meaning, and the further arguments that ensued).

I am happy to communicate the results of the lab tests (Blackstone of course) to anyone who is interested - but generally, other elemental differences are that the BMW oil also contained a lot of Boron (possibly as a slippery-slidey?), a similar amount of Calcium to the two Motuls, and a moderate amount of Phosphorous and Zinc (yes, I'm Canadian).

By comparison, the two Motuls, which were nearly identical in elemental contents, contained roughly 50% more Phos/Zinc (so . . . ZDDP? -- maybe not, given catalysts etc.), much less Mo as I've said, along with a notable amount of Si (anti-foaming?) and little Boron.

Interestingly (well, it's all interesting), the 7100 being a full-on regular road oil meant for normal usage intervals, has twice as much Magnesium as it's more race-oriented 300V -- the good folks at Blackstone, and my little library, note that Magnesium is a common component of detergents and dispersants, so that would make sense.

It seems that the BMW oil may have a bigger, more expanded additive package in some regards, compared to the Motuls, which, given the French use of at least some ester base oils and PAO's probably, might be due to their base oil composition having better natural lubricating abilities than the BMW and so needing less additions. Who knows. Fun to think about.

It's also fun, though ultimately useless, to speculate about BMW's use of Boron (is it maybe, slidey sheets of Boron Nitride? that would be cool, and might even be the same fancy engine-parts coating that they note in the owner's manual, that could be scratched by too much Mo. Maybe it's sort of an oil re-supplementation thing?).

Anyway, though I'm not a person who necessarily expects to feel a difference between one oil and another, in a gearbox or engine, I do know the details of value in the group V Esters and have indeed had a couple of engines with quite high mileage indeed, tear down with amazingly low wear, after years on Motul (or Red Line, in fact). My reason for use is to have less engine/gear wear over the years. That's all.

Good cheer to all of you folks South of me on your 4th of July!

Peter

I think avoiding oils with the “Energy Conserving” emblem shown below is sufficient for avoiding problems with additives in BMWs that have a wet clutch.

images.jpg

I'd like to see the results of the tests, always interested in those types of things.

I don't understand how someone can be confused with what is in the manual regarding oil "additives". This is clearly a reference to additional oil additives, not the levels present in the specified oils. For there to be confusion one must assume that BMW engineers are completely oblivious to what is formulated in over the counter oil they specified to be used in their engines, nothing could be further from the truth.

As for Boron, my understanding is that its a common additive in detergent oils or if high in concentration can be indicative of a coolant leak into engine.

Follow On Question

Thanks for the info, Peter!

As a retired mechanical engineer to whom chemistry is largely a bizaare, if not occult, mystery I ask the following: Is there an easy way to tell from a Blackstone report what the base product is, ie. ester vs. PAO vs. Type III dino/plant juice? The lubricant companies, at least in the US, keep that a mystery.

As a retired mechanical engineer to whom chemistry is largely a bizaare, if not occult, mystery I ask the following: Is there an easy way to tell from a Blackstone report what the base product is, ie. ester vs. PAO vs. Type III dino/plant juice? The lubricant companies, at least in the US, keep that a mystery.

The base for BMW Advantec is natural gas.

The base for BMW Advantec is natural gas.

Yes, there is a plant in the UAE or somewhere else locally, Shell is one of the developers, and they run a somewhat proprietary process to basically force the single-carbon methanes into chains of varying lengths, so that they can call it a “synthetic” oil (we all know the mess surrounding THAT argument)

It is a cleaner product than a highly refined dino oil, but not truly synthesised like an ester or polyalphaolefin, nor, importantly, does it have the different and valuable properties that those two oil groups have.

:)

Yer welcome stooie,

First and foremost, yes, I hate the fact that oil companies, even my beloved Motul, expect us to be doddering idiots with no interest in what we put into our babied engines, and just wave around “big” words like “ester” and expect that we will be amazed and slack-jawed,

I adore chemistry . . . Unfortunately, Blackstone labs doesn’t currently do any actual structural chem analysis on oils, that’s a much more involving set of steps utilising Mass Spec, Gas Chromatography, InfraRed spectroscopy, etc.,

I found a lab here in Canada (We are a petrostate) that does some such analysis but they couldn’t get further than some basic analysis to show some of the functional groups on the oil molecules (these analyses go after the lower hanging fruit of functional groups, seeing if there’s an alcohol in there, or an ester, or aldehyde, these things), then the analysis of the actual carbon backbone, so to speak, is after that,

For a partial analysis of the molecular structures of the top most prevalent three molecules, hence base oils, we were looking at $600 - 800, which didn’t surprise me, OK for a big corporation like Shell or someone, but . . . You know . . .

So unless I can convince a local university lab to take a couple of my oils on as “unknowns” in their analytical chemistry or organic chem labs, I guess I’m stumped in terms of what I really want to know - what actually are the top two or three base oils . . .

Big sigh.

If you could just post the results in the forum as an image for all to see would be great.

As for base oil testing, it would be interesting if Blackstone could provide that data, but is totally irrelevant to reporting on engine status. Which afterall is the reason they're in business. Shell just completed a plant in eastern Ohio that makes ethylene from natural gas, very interesting process.

The list of extra additive found Peter's investigation brings to mind a list of additives found in Golden Spectro when some one did an exhaustive comparison of motorcycle oils several years ago. At around that time Golden Spectro sourced oil to BMW.

It seems that BMW basic thoughts have not changed that much.

It turns out that in fact the BMW oil is employing some form/forms of Mo that come out to approx. almost 5 times as much as the Motul sisters (161 ppm versus the Motul's 33 ppm).

Peter

I want to say it was Terry, owner/founder Werks Quiet Ride screen for RT, posted this information re moly and Advantec Ultimate, and also reported was that Liqui-Moly 4T Race 05W/40 contain virtually zero, or zero, moly, FWIW. I find this oil superior for shifting quality versus Advantec Ultimate, and especially versus Castrol's Power1 Synthetic. I believe Liqui-Moly 4t Race is PAO base oil.

Another oil discussion

If you could just post the results in the forum as an image for all to see would be great.

As for base oil testing, it would be interesting if Blackstone could provide that data, but is totally irrelevant to reporting on engine status. Which afterall is the reason they're in business. Shell just completed a plant in eastern Ohio that makes ethylene from natural gas, very interesting process.

jandhumphreyme, yes, I will go and get the two pdf files (three, with the original BMW Advantec 5w40 oil that I tested), and put them into this string,

unfortunately, getting the base oils ID'd is more advanced analytical chemistry than most oil analysers do, incl Blackstone, who I respect greatly, -- I checked with a local petrochemical lab in Canada, and it's possible, but really expensive, it would be really nice if Motul and others would just give us more info rather than (as much as I like Motul oils) treating us as dumb-dumbs,

the thing with the Shell product is that it's definitely clean/pure, because it is sort of synthetic in that they are taking natural gas, methane, CH4, and effectively fusing the carbons into oil, a simple form of which is just C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C- . . . which slip over each other and give lubricity,

but the "real" synthetics, the API group 4 and 5 base oils, PAO and esters (consecutively) have additional properties that the simpler gas-to-oil products do, (they are clean in a way that true dino oil isn't), so better for having better, more clarified characteristics, but not the totally different capabilities of the PAO and especially the esters,

I love oil.

jandhumphreyme, yes, I will go and get the two pdf files (three, with the original BMW Advantec 5w40 oil that I tested), and put them into this string,

unfortunately, getting the base oils ID'd is more advanced analytical chemistry than most oil analysers do, incl Blackstone, who I respect greatly, -- I checked with a local petrochemical lab in Canada, and it's possible, but really expensive, it would be really nice if Motul and others would just give us more info rather than (as much as I like Motul oils) treating us as dumb-dumbs,

the thing with the Shell product is that it's definitely clean/pure, because it is sort of synthetic in that they are taking natural gas, methane, CH4, and effectively fusing the carbons into oil, a simple form of which is just C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C- . . . which slip over each other and give lubricity,

but the "real" synthetics, the API group 4 and 5 base oils, PAO and esters (consecutively) have additional properties that the simpler gas-to-oil products do, (they are clean in a way that true dino oil isn't), so better for having better, more clarified characteristics, but not the totally different capabilities of the PAO and especially the esters,

I love oil.

Wow...I enjoyed reading that entire post and the only thing I understood was that you love oil! Thanks? I think...

Back