• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I have finally learned

stevenrankin

After two overhauls of my R80RT in the past 37 years, this third one, I have finally learned the hardware, bolts, spacers, washers which look passible when dismantling the bike and I don't think I will need replacing, need replacing. It never fails after new powder coat, paint and chrome, the old bolts, spacers washers and fasteners look like poo when used with the newly done up parts.

So this time I used a stainless bolt kit from the bolt guy only to find it doesn't cover all the bolts and fasteners. So, when I get the old stuff out of the zip lock bags I put it into, it looks like poo. I have to order or hit the hardware store for stuff not included in the kit. Thank goodness Max has it all listed in their microfiche and for sale.

Sadly waiting until I am ready to put things back together again and discovering the poo parts means waiting another week for them to arrive by post, delaying the project.

So, next time I do a major overhaul (if I make it that long), I am going to ORDER the bits and bob stuff the same day the bike comes apart, not when I start to put it back together again. St.

By any chance, did you give the hardware a light wire brushing, using a bench grinder?

I’m nearing the end of my G/SPD+ refurb and I did this to many of the original fasteners and they look quite nice. One has to be careful not to brush too hard, the plating will wear through.

Ian

I need to adopt this same philosophy when it comes to putting my R100RS restoration together. I need to figure out all the bolts etc and make an order from McMaster-Carr.

Take a look

If you want to see how it is done the right way an not my way, LOL, go to Brook Reams's web site and watch his videos. I kick myself every time I do because I am not that good. St.

If you want to see how it is done the right way an not my way, LOL, go to Brook Reams's web site and watch his videos. I kick myself every time I do because I am not that good. St.

Brook's site is my bible! I'm fortunate that among his various projects are two that almost directly apply to my two bikes.

That guy deserves a medal, or as somebody suggested, a "Friend of the Marque" designation.

I just bought

LOL, l just received a refurbished Mac book to put in the garage for his videos and Max's microfiche along with other sites, a bigger screen than my smart phone and easier to use. St.

Back