Thread: I have finally learned

I have finally learned

After two overhauls of my R80RT in the past 37 years, this third one, I have finally learned the hardware, bolts, spacers, washers which look passible when dismantling the bike and I don't think I will need replacing, need replacing. It never fails after new powder coat, paint and chrome, the old bolts, spacers washers and fasteners look like poo when used with the newly done up parts.

So this time I used a stainless bolt kit from the bolt guy only to find it doesn't cover all the bolts and fasteners. So, when I get the old stuff out of the zip lock bags I put it into, it looks like poo. I have to order or hit the hardware store for stuff not included in the kit. Thank goodness Max has it all listed in their microfiche and for sale.

Sadly waiting until I am ready to put things back together again and discovering the poo parts means waiting another week for them to arrive by post, delaying the project.

So, next time I do a major overhaul (if I make it that long), I am going to ORDER the bits and bob stuff the same day the bike comes apart, not when I start to put it back together again. St.

Good for you

You're never to old or smart to learn.
    MOA#22600 Gold 1978 R100rs, White 2013 Suzuki 650 Burgman, 2012-125cc Kymco , 2013-180cc Kymco Racing King
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

By any chance, did you give the hardware a light wire brushing, using a bench grinder?

Iím nearing the end of my G/SPD+ refurb and I did this to many of the original fasteners and they look quite nice. One has to be careful not to brush too hard, the plating will wear through.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom || '19 CB500X

I need to adopt this same philosophy when it comes to putting my R100RS restoration together. I need to figure out all the bolts etc and make an order from McMaster-Carr.
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6
    '80 R100RS restoration project

Take a look

If you want to see how it is done the right way an not my way, LOL, go to Brook Reams's web site and watch his videos. I kick myself every time I do because I am not that good. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    If you want to see how it is done the right way an not my way, LOL, go to Brook Reams's web site and watch his videos. I kick myself every time I do because I am not that good. St.
    Brook's site is my bible! I'm fortunate that among his various projects are two that almost directly apply to my two bikes.

That guy deserves a medal, or as somebody suggested, a "Friend of the Marque" designation.
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6
    '80 R100RS restoration project

I just bought

LOL, l just received a refurbished Mac book to put in the garage for his videos and Max's microfiche along with other sites, a bigger screen than my smart phone and easier to use. St.