• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1250 fuel economy

motormike

Has anyone truly seen an increase in range/fuel economy with the newer 1250 engine? BMW claims it's more fuel efficient than the preceding 1200 engine, but every road test or review I've seen says it's no better or even worse!

It definitely has more HP, but I average 42 mpg. On a rented 1250 RT in England I saw 52 mpg, but that may have been the good fuel available plus lower avearage speeds than in the states.

Of course, your mileage may vary. :whistle

On our 2019 RT, riding two up we get 52 mpg on average. Mostly back roads, but southern Rockies. I try to avoid interstate as much as possible. So I spend $20k+ on a m/c and worry about mileage? Probably not.

I have an 2021 R1250RT, on the trip to the Rally and home, my observations were as follows; 55mpg @ 55mph, 52mpg @ 65, 47mpg @ 75, 42mpg @ 80, and 37.5mpg @ 90. These were from a mix of fuel sources obviously but all 91 octane or greater some were ethanol free others up to 10%.

I believe I'm seeing some improvements at the lower speeds as the engine breaks in more.

Did you convert to US gallons?

That was my first question. Imperial gallons are 25% bigger than US gallons. Although, the last time I was in the UK they sold fuel by the litre (which every country should do!)

No. I just went by what the average stated on the RID. Some of the other UK riders (on different bikes) did comment on the good mileage they got on that road trip to Wales that I was involved in. Maybe the fuel was better quality in Wales compared to England. :dunno

For comparison, I just finished a California to Maryland ride on my 2014 RT. My fuel economy (burning premium 91/93) ended just a shade above 50 mpg, and average speed for the trip was 56 mph. I believe that I was in Road mode most of the way. I was on US 50 most of the way, which offered about every street riding environment you could imagine, from twisties to town to interstate.

2019 with 15,000 miles. Mostly 2-up. I average 44-46 MPG. Mostly back/county roads and state hwy's. Very little interstate.

2016 R1200 GSA, 500+ fillups over 4 years, average 45.85 MPG

2020 R1250 GSA, 125+ fillups over 1 year, average 47.42 mpg

So 1.57 US mpg improvement, about 3.4%.

Similar riding between the two, although no Alaska trips on the 2020. Elevation (sea level to 12,000 ft), temperature (freezing to triple digits), speed - maybe a tad slower on the new bike, maybe not.

Went to the rally in MT from NC on my 2016 1200 GSA with a buddy riding a 2020 1250 GS. Roads were interstate out east and mostly secondary as we got into KS and on to the rally. We compared mileage as we went since BMW did make the claim, but my 1200 seemed to be running about 3-6% better mileage every fill. It was an interesting comparison since we did essentially identical routes, speeds and stops. The 1250 has more power and displacement so I imagine it must suck more juice. For me, I'd rather have his power and sacrifice the juice...

My 2cents, I flight plan/ride plan 40MPG x 6 gallons on my 15rt, our speeds are pretty far north of legal limits, at 240 miles I’am ready to get off and stretch. Pretty surprised mileage is usually in the 43 range per gallon same as my buddies 20rt

Fuel milage in the UK

It definitely has more HP, but I average 42 mpg. On a rented 1250 RT in England I saw 52 mpg, but that may have been the good fuel available plus lower avearage speeds than in the states.

Of course, your mileage may vary. :whistle

The gallons of petrol sold in the UK are different than the US. That is why your mileage was different.:usa

I average 4.8 litres to the 100 on a good day. More like 5.5 litres to the hundred with normal riding. I only know this because the bike tells me. Plug it in to the conversion table of your choice for your preferred measurement.

Has anyone truly seen an increase in range/fuel economy with the newer 1250 engine? BMW claims it's more fuel efficient than the preceding 1200 engine, but every road test or review I've seen says it's no better or even worse!

46-55 mpg on my 2021RT about the same as I got on my 14 & 18RTs. 46 avg. on a 6K trip , 55mpg just putting around in the mountains of PA.

My 22 GS is showing 44 mpg after riding for its first 1000 miles. I tend to ride "brisky" on back roads, but not crazy fast. I have the Vairo bags mounted all the time, which I know hurts milage a little bit.

Back