• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Starts but won't keep running, checked many things, what might I be missing ???

Hello; Need some advice, perspective and or guidance. 2013 R1200GSA. When she refused to start during a recent trip on CO BDR, I field stripped her on the side of the road checking everything from kickstand switch to fuel in tank to every electrical connection I could find. Disconnected battery twice with 10 minutes standdown period to let whatever might reset, reset. Next day I got her to Grand Junction BMW who analysed problem as the servo motor for the exhaust butterfly valve. [They actually showed me on their computer diagnostic machine] Since only 7 servo motors in BMW parts system & all in Germany, I trailered her home.

After getting back home, I installed a 'Servo Buddy' to replace deficient servo motor and used my GS911 to clear the fault. No change to how engine was starting and then stopping. Still starts, runs 5 ~ 7 seconds and stops. I can hear and feel the fuel pump spin up & pressurize system. I've double checked and disconnected every possible connection having to do with fuel pumps, injectors, throttle position sensor (wd-40'd) and reconnected.

If I disconnect the fuel line from pump (both right side transfer pump and left side fuel pressure to injectors pump), I can observe a slight release of pressure. Upon reconnecting the fuel lines as original. After doing this, she'll start and run for perhaps 15 seconds before shutting down on what sounds like lack of fuel. Computer and GS911 show no faults relating to ECM or engine. Does any one have any thoughts of what to try next? Thank you in advance. Mark (Advenchab4Demencha)

Last edited:
Do you have the capabilities of installing a pressure gauge in the fuel rail. This would confirm that you are maintaining fuel pressure.

Back