• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2001 R1100R will not crank

eleven

2001 R1100R, 7000 miles. Cannot figure out why my bike will not crank. It turns over, fuel pump is working, but it just will not crank. I removed the tank (a 3rd time) to remove a newly installed AF-XIED and used a posi-lock connector to reconnect the O2 sensor wire. AF-XIED really works great but was having an issue with a rough idle when cranking the bike after it was warm. roger04 is helping me out with the issue. Did some checks using a DVM and possibly a bad O2 sensor. I checked the wiring twice on the AF-XIED and it was right. Planned to run the it without the AF-XIED in order to see if the same issue exist. Anyway, bike cranked fine before the most recent tank removal. I put everything back together and it turned over, cranked, but immediately cut off. Now it just turns over and won’t fire up. I disconnected each fuel line quick disconnect and reconnected. Bike then did the same thing. It’s like a switch somewhere is disconnected or something. The entire fuel delivery system in the bike was replaced ~ 7 months ago and the it has never done this before.

2001 R1100R, 7000 miles. Cannot figure out why my bike will not crank. It turns over, fuel pump is working, but it just will not crank. I removed the tank (a 3rd time) to remove a newly installed AF-XIED and used a posi-lock connector to reconnect the O2 sensor wire. AF-XIED really works great but was having an issue with a rough idle when cranking the bike after it was warm. roger04 is helping me out with the issue. Did some checks using a DVM and possibly a bad O2 sensor. I checked the wiring twice on the AF-XIED and it was right. Planned to run the it without the AF-XIED in order to see if the same issue exist. Anyway, bike cranked fine before the most recent tank removal. I put everything back together and it turned over, cranked, but immediately cut off. Now it just turns over and won’t fire up. I disconnected each fuel line quick disconnect and reconnected. Bike then did the same thing. It’s like a switch somewhere is disconnected or something. The entire fuel delivery system in the bike was replaced ~ 7 months ago and the it has never done this before.

I am confused. What is the difference between cranking and turning over?

In any event I suspect there is a critical wire disconnected, pinched, broken, or loose. Carefully check every wire while also putting it back to stock condition and then see what happens.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to give it another try before removing the tank to check connections, wires, etc. Surprisingly it started on the first try. I took it for a test ride and after about a 1/2 mile at 30-40 mph it cut off on me. I had to trailer it back home. Could this be the O2 sensor? This all started after I spliced the O2 sensor’s black wire using a posilock wire connector. After getting it home I removed the tank and was unable to identify any lose or disconnected wires/hoses. I have not checked the inside of the tank for issues.

Your initial post had me suspecting that a QD connector had not been seated properly. That can cause a flow blockage resulting in the fuel pump having enough pressure to blow loose the line at the pump or (usually) at the filter, so fuel circulates inside the tank but nothing gets to the fuel rail to feed the injectors. That doesn’t appear to be the case here, since the bike ran for a while before shutting down again. Your issue sounds more like an electrical problem, maybe even the classic “broken wire inside the harness, near the steering neck”. An O2 sensor issue should cause running and driveability issues, but I wouldn’t think a sudden shutdown.

Best,
DeVern

Don't overlook the obvious things -- side stand switch, clutch switch, kill switch, etc. I have been momentarily panicked at a gas station more than once when I inadvertently dislodged the kill switch.

Turns out the HES wiring was causing the bike to cut off and also randomly not start. This makes sense because when I initially disconnected the O2 sensor connector zip tied to the frame, located beside the HES connector, I disturbed those wires which began the issues with it cutting off and not starting. Most if not all of the wire coverings on 3 of the 4 wires was nonexistent. Thanks for the help.

Turns out the HES wiring was causing the bike to cut off and also randomly not start.

Is there anyone on the Forum who does a superlative job of rewiring the HES ?

Hint: GSAddict

Do yourself a favour and PM him.

Plan on PMing him tomorrow. m_stock recommended him and is providing guidance on removing the HES. Thanks

Back