• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cool car

AKsuited

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a2tDOYkFCYo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool to see it actually work.

Harry

Found this info.

The hybrid car-aircraft, AirCar, is equipped with a BMW engine and runs on regular petrol-pump fuel.

Its creator, Prof Stefan Klein, said it could fly about 1,000km (600 miles), at a height of 8,200ft (2,500m), and had clocked up 40 hours in the air so far.

It takes two minutes and 15 seconds to transform from car into aircraft.
'Very pleasant'

The narrow wings fold down along the sides of the car.

Prof Klein drove it straight off the runway and into town upon arrival, watched by invited reporters.

He described the experience, early on Monday morning, as "normal" and "very pleasant".

In the air, the vehicle reached a cruising speed of 170km/h.

It can carry two people, with a combined weight limit of 200kg (31 stone).

I am not thrilled. People seem to have enough difficulty maneuvering vehicles in two dimensions, let alone a third. Then too, folks will have to dodge drones. Drivers run out of gas all the time: how about flyvers?

It looks to me like a new toy for the rich and famous of little actual use for the benefit of humanity.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, where have I seen that before.....?

gettyimages-633530688-1024x1024.jpg

1961-62, The New Bob Cummings Show, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Bob_Cummings_Show

I am not thrilled. People seem to have enough difficulty maneuvering vehicles in two dimensions, let alone a third. Then too, folks will have to dodge drones. Drivers run out of gas all the time: how about flyvers?

It looks to me like a new toy for the rich and famous of little actual use for the benefit of humanity.

Whoa! Where did all your whimsey go, Paul? This is not the first flying car I've seen over the years, and I doubt it will be the last, and none ever became practical or popular. But, for me, all where fun. :brow

His whimsy may be with the valve from Voni’s 310.

Other than downtime all is well. BMW is replacing the engine and exhaust. I asked, "Why the exhaust?" The answer: "It is full of oil and metal fragments!"

When the head of a valve - a chunk of hardened steel about the size of a quarter but three times as thick - drops into a 100 revolutions per second blender with an aluminum piston, the chaos is predictable.

Other than downtime all is well. BMW is replacing the engine and exhaust. I asked, "Why the exhaust?" The answer: "It is full of oil and metal fragments!"

When the head of a valve - a chunk of hardened steel about the size of a quarter but three times as thick - drops into a 100 revolutions per second blender with an aluminum piston, the chaos is predictable.

Nice to see BMW come through :thumb
OM

Yes, good to hear it is being handled well. I wonder if there have other such issues with the 310. Haven’t heard of such.

With the flying car, I already have to focus on every thing horizontal. now I will have to look above also?:scratch

Yes, eating valves is a very bad thing for internal combustion engines. It's a shame this happened and blew your rally plans, it was a good one this year.

If a moving part fails when your on the ground, it can be an inconvenience. When same part fails at 1,000 or more feet you have a problem. I have had to coast into the breakdown lane in motorhomes, motorhomes hauling cars ,motorcycles, trucks hauling trailers, and survived . All we need now is mega rich people falling out of the sky because they didn't update there GPS.

Back