• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1981 r100rt no power no lights horn nothing.

outboard1

I have owned in past a 2009 R1200GSA, K100, 72 r75/5 with side car and one other. I have sold all bikes, but a friends father has Alzimer's and they know nothing about this 1981 R100rt. So I ended up with it. I am looking for ignition switch with key, this one is in the on position, I hooked up a battery, but there is no power anywhere. Could the diode board cause this? HELP.

I was a club member for several years, but sold my GSA and thought I was done with bikes. I was at the Rally at the Minnesota Fair grounds, I brought my K100 flying brick. What a great time.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to recheck the kill switch on the right handlebar...it could have been thrown in the kill position. The next thing I would check is the starter relay under the tank. It's a cube about 1" square on the left side. Pull the relay out and replug a couple of times. This will help scrape off corrosion which may have set up on the pins. I don't think the diode board is causing the starting issue...it's part of the charging system. You can run the bike without a charging system but not for long!

generic ignition switch, for r100rt

thanks for that. I have it all figured out have power. Can I use a generic ignition switch? It is crazy a150-250$ for key switch

So you tracked it down to a faulty ignition switch? I'm not sure what's out there for replacements. Clearly there must be something as people are bobbing/cafeing their Airheads and getting rid of lots of things. I saw on another post that there was a 4-wire Emgo switch but no details were given as to the part. There are a number of used part places found in my signature line link. Just about anything from 1976-on would work with the exception of certain GS, G/S, and ST switches.

oil pressure light stays on oil flowing

This is a r1200rt 1981 I am working on. oil pressure light stays on. But bike runs fine. Just got this bike/Users/Steven/Downloads/IMG_20210718_190315113.jpg Oil pressure switch?

Back