• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vermont's Green Mountain Rally is BACK!

Actually B&W forces you to actually look at the subject matter...
Check out this site. https://clydebutcher.com
Clyde is known as the Ansel Adams of the Everglades and I have been to his studio a number of times. Simply stunning is almost not enough...

I can't argue with objectivity :) I've seen new photographers go too much into black & white just like the sideways shot newbie mistake. It's hard to explain but this is photographers who don't shoot portrait or landscape, they do some weird 45 degree in the middle thing to get more crap in the photo. I see it with new photographers.

This guy is fairly new to the hobby - https://om.co/photos/ and has moved exclusively to black & white. I think he can be saved :p

I really can't disagree that B&W does that to people but I also know some people who have relied on it as a crutch. This is 100% opinion on my part though.

I do occasionally also screw around with saturation though like in this photo:
51457813352_f64377e2d1_b.jpg

I find de-saturating to be more fun than B&W.

I agree that things can be overdone, and not just in photography..:laugh

It is cool to play around with colors and lighting. Developing film has gone the way of the Dodo for the most part, but I do miss the darkroom days when you could really make or break an image on paper. With digital it is now a matter of playing with the software settings and that can be endless fun too..

I agree that things can be overdone, and not just in photography..:laugh

It is cool to play around with colors and lighting. Developing film has gone the way of the Dodo for the most part, but I do miss the darkroom days when you could really make or break an image on paper. With digital it is now a matter of playing with the software settings and that can be endless fun too..

It's silly for sure that Black & White is just a fake button on a screen that you tap with your finger. :p so many dark room techniques relegated to clicks.

My digital Leica Monochrom *only* shoots in black and white. Not a fake button...you just have to see things differently.

I like your photographs -- thanks for sharing them. And the b&w image was good use of it.

My digital Leica Monochrom *only* shoots in black and white. Not a fake button...you just have to see things differently.

I like your photographs -- thanks for sharing them. And the b&w image was good use of it.

Thanks! that Monochrom you have is a pretty good piece of kit! Any links to your galleries?

It was my work -- I don't really have organized galleries, although do have a Photoshelter account. The photos are an odd assortment, generally uploaded for one specific purpose or another, but they generally don't relate to each other or to much of anything at a glance.

Some photos are a number of years old, some are more recent. I haven't updated it at all since the pandemic began.

https://www.mitchtraphagen.com

And, of course, this post is very far off-topic...my apologies for that. Perhaps next year my wife and I could make a Vermont rally!

It was my work -- I don't really have organized galleries, although do have a Photoshelter account. The photos are an odd assortment, generally uploaded for one specific purpose or another, but they generally don't relate to each other or to much of anything at a glance.

Some photos are a number of years old, some are more recent. I haven't updated it at all since the pandemic began.

And, of course, this post is very far off-topic...my apologies for that. Perhaps next year my wife and I could make a Vermont rally!

Thanks for the link!!!

Great photo's specially from Florida.. :D I am biased a bit....:whistle Ft. Jefferson is an amazing place and see you took quite a few photos there.... Thanks for the link!

Adam, thanks for hosting such a fun event. It was my first BMW rally and had a great time. Looking through your photos was fun :D Hoping that when you get to your drone photos, you have one of my husband falling off his chair while attempting to wave at the drone :clap
Cheers and hope to see it again next year!

Back