• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100GS Lowering suspension suggestions?

sufferin_boothead

Sufferin Boothead
Looking into possibility of lowering suspension on a '95 R11GS for a 'vertically challenged' person. Is this a big or expensive job? Can regular people do it or should it be done by a dealer mechanic? Any ideas of what it would cost or is the bike (which is in great shape) even worth it? thanks

There's one thread in the Similar Threads pane below that is about suspension lowering for Oilheads.

Lowering a 1100GS. Solo shocks front and rear. So, probably get two new shortened shocks. Maybe get the seat cut/thinned down. Maybe best to pass on a 1100GS and find a 1100R. Start shorter from the start. Just a thought.

Get a Harley PanAm!!! They actually lower the suspension a couple inches as you come to a stop. Woo Hoo!! Now - why couldn't BMW think of that???

:laugh

Get a Harley PanAm!!! They actually lower the suspension a couple inches as you come to a stop. Woo Hoo!! Now - why couldn't BMW think of that???

:laugh

Just one more gizmo to go wrong. Does anybody remember the slogan; "If HD made an airplane would you fly in it?"

I lowered my 1100RS using the low version of Wilburs shocks, got an additional 30 mm ( 1.20”) closer to ground. Cost was about $1200, Ted Porter carries some brands where you can select the drop. In any case be prepared to modify your side and center stand as they will have to be shortened.

Lower a GS

Its a shock swap, the shocks on an R are shorter if you can find a pair. If not a number of companies make them. Its not a super hard job. I went the other way with my 96 GS so I have the short shocks in my garage but they have a lot of miles and they are in California but I would let them go for lunch money and shipping. If not I'm sure E-bay has some. As the previous poster mentioned, the side stand will work but the bike stands almost straight up and you need a friend to get it up on the center stand.

Last edited:
Back