• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Survey of tubeless puncture repair kit experience for a newby

Survey of tubeless puncture kits and pumps

Time to come back in now to my original question (not that I want people to stop!) - and say a mighty big "thanks" to everyone who has responded, you folks have been tremendous - this has moved me ahead a lot. I love tyres (as my Dad spelled it) a lot, treads, compounds, carcasses, but that puncture issue . . . I think that I learned my discomfort from cycling in Calgary . . . was always flatting. Wonder when Michelin will release their first airless m/c tyres?

Hope I can have a "soft" run in with any of you on the road . . . you lot are most excellent. All welcome to lower mainland BC should the time ever come.

Timely. I just got back from a long ride on my r1200gs. I carry a small elec. pump and the sticky rope tire plugs. Didn't need them on this trip, thank goodness. But at one point I wanted to add a couple of pounds to my rear tire. It seems to me there is no easy way to access the battery on my bike (or many others) to hook up the pump. As mentioned, you need to be sure the engine is running so you don't run the battery down inflating the tire. Since BMW called for 42 psi, I was also concerned if the small pump would even inflate it that much? I've never used the pump on the BMW, the hose on most of the small pumps I've seen are quite short. I guess I need to practice with it before the next trip. I think I'm going to shop for a small 12-volt lithium ion battery I can carefully store with my tire repair kit. I'd think it would make using the pump and inflating the tire a snap.
It's not difficult to hook a Battery Tender pigtail directly to the battery, many dealers install them on new bikes as part of their setup process. They can handle the load of a pump (if fused properly). Plus now you have an easy way of keeping the battery topped off over the winter. If your pump doesn't have an SAE (Battery Tender) connection, splice one on (paying attention to polarity)!

True, some bikes are a royal pain to get to the battery so you can install a pigtail, but you only have to do it once. Keeping the battery charged will prolong its life so you aren't replacing it every 1/2/3 years, too!

I have carried the Stop n Go kit on my bike for years....fortunately have never had an opportunity to use it.

I've read about the low tech / high success rate of various sticky rope type plugs and the Nealy kits kept getting mentioned. Before leaving for the MOA Rally I decided to order one of the mini-kits to take with me. When I ordered I noticed the gentleman, Matt Nealy, lived 5min from my house. I called him and he just had me drive over to pick the kits up. A huge part of his business is agriculture related for tire repairs with large farm machinery. I asked about motorcycles and he said fortunately for motorcyclists, comparatively they don't experience many flats so it doesn't make sense to market heavily at rallies, etc.

He ended up giving me a couple extra kits and I plan to share them when I see someone with a flat tire...hopefully not me!

Oh yeah... I use a Moto Pump Pro. Love it and works perfectly everytime.

Good luck!

I carried the Stop-'n-Go kit for a number of years, but It was not up to the job the first time I had to use it. Luckily, I was with friends, who quickly sealed the puncture with the "sticky rope" type. That's what I carry now, along with a an air pump, at all times. I had another puncture a little while back, and successfully plugged it with a sticky rope, so yes, they do work.

I've had mushroom plugs blow out after 20 miles or so. I use sticky strings, which have lasted as long as 3,000 miles before the tire was replaced. Never had any luck with CO2 cartridges. Have used other pumps either powered by "cigarette lighter" outlets, or adapted to the battery tender pigtail. But do remember to run the engine while the tire pumps up, the battery can run down, thus trading one problem for another.

My 2000 R1100S I bought used has the connector with cap that I plug the Deltran charger directly into. I have used the ammeter probes there to read battery voltage. Am I correct in assuming I can plug the cig plug from one of these pumps in that socket on the bike and run the pump? (engine running)

If it fits, absolutely.

I always carry an Antigravity Microstart battery, Microstart pump, and Stop N Go plug kit. The battery is for when I or someone else needs a jumpstart and it also powers the pump. Got a wood screw in an 800 mile old rear Dunlop a couple of weeks ago and was back underway in 20 minutes with a fully inflated rear tire, 42 psi.

Are you saying Antigravity sells their own pump to use with their battery kit? Asking because I carry one of their small jump-start kits in my pannier when I'm on a long tour. That would be ideal, since you could use the pump without having to run the engine. Usually hot enough on the side of the road with a flat tire without running the engine!

Are you saying Antigravity sells their own pump to use with their battery kit? Asking because I carry one of their small jump-start kits in my pannier when I'm on a long tour. That would be ideal, since you could use the pump without having to run the engine. Usually hot enough on the side of the road with a flat tire without running the engine!

Here is my wisdom. I inflate the tire without running the engine. If perchance that runs the battery in the bike down, then I use would use my Antigravity lithium ion battery pack to jump the bike to start it.

And yes, Antigravity does sell their own branded little pump.

Monkey Grip

I like Monkey Grip plug kits. They are cheap. A small bottle of rubber cement is a guarantee against a dried out tube. Wrap it in tape for break and leak protection. My ‘04-era BMW tire repair kit insertion tool broke during first use. Monkey Grip tool very robust. I carry a small 12 volt cordless drill (without the battery) with an SAE connector and a 3.5 mm drill bit to ream out the hole. The addition of small bits and lock wire come in handy when drilling holes to lace your fairing back together when you high side on earthworms.

Three carefully administered CO2 tubes will fill a front tire. Not sure how many needed for a rear tire. Does anyone know if a Helite airbag vest CO2 tube can be adapted to inflate tires?

Once again
Don't rely on CO2 cartridges to get you back on the road.
If you plug your tire and find out the plug needs another string or what ever your using, and you run out of cartridges your gonna be bummed.
Get a electric airpump.
Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get the tire to hold air.
Nick
1990 K 75RT

I bring three different types of plug kits with me and a 12v air pump. Neally, Dynaplug and Stop-n-Go. What I use depends on the (size) hole and where it is located.
The Dunlops I currently have are too much of a PITA to get off the rim so a patch kit is out for me at least.
The mushroom plugs have worked well for me and I like them, but it depends on the tire too. I think they are more suited for a bias ply rather then a radial tire because of their construction.
A friends tire I plugged up lasted it's entire life span. It does require a more precise application IMHO.
The stringy type are a more foolproof way of plugging a tire but not always infallible either.. YMMV

Rubber mushroom plug saved my a$$ a few weeks ago. Held air just fine for a few days before I got to a bike shop where the tire was removed and then patched from the inside. Used a smaller on-bike compressor to fill the tire on the road.

Back