• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT Gearbox/Bevel Gear Oil

ve1iou

It is my understanding that we should use 75W-140 in the gearbox, and 75W-90 in the rear bevel gears, is this correct. Some older threads seemed confusing.

All that is easy to obtain is Royal Purple MaxGear synthetic oil. But it contains a friction modifier, and it states not to be used in wet clutches. Isn't the RT clutch in the gearbox? I have had too many bikes and am getting them confused in my old age .... Ha.

Doug

It is my understanding that we should use 75W-140 in the gearbox, and 75W-90 in the rear bevel gears, is this correct. Some older threads seemed confusing.

All that is easy to obtain is Royal Purple MaxGear synthetic oil. But it contains a friction modifier, and it states not to be used in wet clutches. Isn't the RT clutch in the gearbox? I have had too many bikes and am getting them confused in my old age .... Ha.

Doug

I use Royal Purple 75W90 in both my trans and FD with no problems on my ‘13 RT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dont use 140 in anything.

You don't have a wet clutch.

You're free to use any gear oil in transmission, but BMW REQUIRES SAF-XO formula in the rear drive. Easiest to get this at BMW dealer.

Thanks for the replies.

There are no BMW dealers in Nova Scotia ... so it is best to find alternatives if possible. Looks like the Royal Purple oil also is a substitute for the Castrol, see the attachment. View attachment RoyalPurple.pdf

I saw a few threads discussing the heavier weight oil for the gearbox.

Doug

Dont use 140 in anything.

You don't have a wet clutch.

You're free to use any gear oil in transmission, but BMW REQUIRES SAF-XO formula in the rear drive. Easiest to get this at BMW dealer.

If in fact BMW REQUIRED only SAF-XO they would be required to provide it.

I tried to purchase SAF-XO at my BMW dealer.
I was told they do not stock it, they use 75w-90 synthetic Motul.

By “required to provide” I believe Paul means without charge, and that I do not believe BMW does.

I think it is clear that it is fine to use any quality synthetic oil, as some BMW dealers themselves do not use Castrol.

If someone could shed any light on the weight in the gearbox. Other threads have indicated some people and dealers have used the heavier weight.

By “required to provide” I believe Paul means without charge, and that I do not believe BMW does.

He’s mistaken. BMW specifies premium fuel for some models … that doesn’t mean they have to provide it free. Don’t bother attempting to explain how that’s different than differential fluid … it isn’t. SAF/XO formula fluid is readily available from multiple sources … just not USA flaps. Attempting to maintain anything German from a USA flaps is ridiculous.

“Any quality product” is not what’s specified in the Service DVD for Hexheads/Camheads. There is no source that officially (or correctly) overrides this information, especially not BMW dealers … unless they can provide written information from BMW. Not forum geniuses, not any mechanic anywhere.

He’s mistaken. BMW specifies premium fuel for some models … that doesn’t mean they have to provide it free. Don’t bother attempting to explain how that’s different than differential fluid … it isn’t. SAF/XO formula fluid is readily available from multiple sources … just not USA flaps. Attempting to maintain anything German from a USA flaps is ridiculous.

“Any quality product” is not what’s specified in the Service DVD for Hexheads/Camheads. There is no source that officially (or correctly) overrides this information, especially not BMW dealers … unless they can provide written information from BMW. Not forum geniuses, not any mechanic anywhere.

I understand your point…… I think that point has been “diluted” due to manufacturers outsourcing/globally sourcing of so much of everything.
Probably only going to get worse……as outsourcing continues to expand especially as consumers are further confused by price differences in “will fit” repair/maintenance/rebuild purchases.
OM

FLAPS = Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

I had to look that one up. :type

As for gear oil, my Camhead manual says 75W-90 that I source from my local FLBMWD in a convenient 1L bottle for less than $20. It's my understanding that Range Rover differentials use the same spec oil so maybe there's a RR dealer in your part of the world? I'm pretty anal about not deviating from spec unless there's a huge cost incentive so I use molybdenum-free motor oil and BMW-branded gear oil in my '13 RT.

Thank you. I didn't know what a flap in that context was. To many acronyms these days. I kind of just guessed on the FLBMWD.

And SAF-XO has been renamed Syntrax by Castrol.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/home/motorcycle-oil-and-fluids/gear-oils.html

Available at most FLAPS locations.

Best,
DeVern

As I understood it, the Castrol product that was formerly SAF-XO was Castrol Syntrax "Longlife" (not Limited Slip). It appears that Castrol is no longer manufacturing the "Longlife" product given its absence on their website although you can still find it on Amazon. I purchased "Longlife" last year from AutohausAZ but they no longer carry it either.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/58CC867FFA67089A80258440004233F2/$File/BPXE-8F58WC_0.pdf

At the time of manufacture, Castrol was producing both "Longlife" and the Limited Slip product so I don't think the Limited Slip product is equivalent to the SAF-XO product.

Castrol Limited Slip is the new name for Castrol Hypoy C and is a dino, no synthetic oil.

Sorry. I should have been more specific... Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W-90 is the product to which GTRider's link refers (as opposed to Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90).

The Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip product, while being a synthetic, is not the equivalent of SAF-XO. The SAF-XO equivalent was branded as Castrol Syntrax Longlife.

Or am I missing your point?

Back