• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New R1300 GS coming?

I don’t believe the R18 is selling well as a cruiser, at least it’s not around here.
It’s a lot cheaper to try that engine in other platforms than scrap it altogether.
Who knows, it might actually be popular as a GSA ...

Lots of people thought the original R80 GS was too big to be a “dirt bike”, and we know how that worked out.
In reality most GS’s are used as commuters or touring bikes, but are still lighter than a Goldwing.
Time will tell ...

I was obviously joking about the bigger engine as I think that the ‘race’ between several manufacturers to see who can produce the largest dual sport bike is ridiculous.
The 1200 is good off pavement rides, but meant more for hard pack gravel than single track as that bike is simply the wrong tool for that job. I too wish the BMW would build a lighter and more nimble boxer GS(A)than the current version.
The R18 is selling well down here in S Florida but it doesn’t look like it will break any records anytime soon. My local dealer has sold about 8 of them afaik….

I just dont get it?

They have proven they can make any size boxer motor they want so give us our light weight boxer!

450 lbs or less, with a pretty square motor like 90HP 90TQ, it can have just plain Jane everything, just put it on a diet. I really dont need or want most of the new driver aids they have, and I do not need Drive Modes, or push button shocks.

https://www.scottoiler.com/us/

a BIG +1 on this from me.

A 450lb bike wet with 90 HP and the best suspension possible is the new bike I would buy in a minute.

Bike HP is nothing but a marketing ploy...my d.. is bigger than yours!! How many riders max out their bikes at top speed? Have you? If you have I salute you and your high speed riding and fully using the HJP!

I will not buy a bigger heavy GS. I will not replace my RS if the new model is heavier, or does not have a significantly better suspension. Current RS suspension is pretty good...spending a $2k in aftermarket will make it the best.

The F800 series of bike are NOT middleweight...they are porkers! Poor design....Come on BMW make a world class middle weigh bike!

A 450lb bike wet with 90 HP and the best suspension possible is the new bike I would buy in a minute.

Bike HP is nothing but a marketing ploy...my d.. is bigger than yours!! How many riders max out their bikes at top speed? Have you? If you have I salute you and your high speed riding and fully using the HJP!

I will not buy a bigger heavy GS. I will not replace my RS if the new model is heavier, or does not have a significantly better suspension. Current RS suspension is pretty good...spending a $2k in aftermarket will make it the best.

The F800 series of bike are NOT middleweight...they are porkers! Poor design....Come on BMW make a world class middle weigh bike!

I feel your pain... sorta. Most of the rider's aids are software with some hardware for interfacing with the mechanicals of the bike. Not much weight saved by eliminating modes, hill start assist or shift assist.

There have been other attempts at making light weight versions of BMW's bigger bikes. The R80, although a fairly popular model line was not much lighter than the R100s; the F800GT introduced as a light weight touring bike that was not a big seller; and, the R850R oilhead was also not a sales bright light.

If BMW could make a smaller boxer powered bike that lost a larger percentage of the R1250's weight and cost than it does its power, then it might be good selling machine, but I don't see BMW taking the risk to build one.

Dude, you need one of these! (I sold mine before I killed myself on it). It dyno’d @110hp rear wheel. With knobbies, when it hooked up, you could barely hold on to it! On paved twisties it was untouchable… :evil

i-zDkzV8H-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Ducati may come up with a good mid weight /size 100 hp bike.

New Monster is 111 hp , 65lb torque and 365 lbs!!!

Yes it is a naked bike, yes Italian lbs may not be german lbs but is significantly better than ANY of the BMW 800 Twin bikes

I'll be taking a look see if the aftermarket offers farces that will make it into a sport tourer

What Monster is it? I thought the new 820 Monster was around 400# dry. My 790 Duke is 370 dry, not sure how much a sport tourer version would gain but the 790 Adventure gains 50# so probably 470 wet.

Well total shock failures that come and go and more and more being reported.

TFT issues that are not resolving.

And I just read of a fuel pump issue.

The only constant is the shock issue and TFT connectivity.

I also think I just read of a cam/follower issue on one.

I guess the brakes just dont count any longer?

No matter, a 1300 CC and 750 LB bike should cure those issues.

- What total shock failures?

- What TFT issues?

- You just read about fuel pump issues. Where have you been? Living on a desert island? Fuel pump issues were on the pre-liquid cooled R1200s. I've not heard or read of any widespread fuel pump issues on the R1200/1250s. If you know of any, do tell. Kindly.

- I know about the cam follower problem. BMW has fixed (BMW says) the issue with new and improved cam followers. R1250s have the newer type followers.

- Why would BMW recall bikes to replace calipers if they don't count anymore?

- "1300 CC and 750 LB bike should cure those issues." What does that have to do with the upcoming BMW R1300 series?

:lurk

A few more R1300GS pictures in this video.

<iframe width="1134" height="638" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HSkmVjfJ6UM" title="BREAKING: New BMW 1300 GS Spy Photos!" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, if a new r1300gs is coming would think very recent buyers of a gs would feel bad not waiting a month or so for the reveal of the new gs line. Was just looking at a used 2022 r1250rt 719 edition, not a gs mine you, though a lighter weight new gs ‘fully’ water cool boxer could be nice instead if not as tall in the saddle as present gs bike.

I just bought a new 23 RT and am planning to love riding it. I could have waited a year for the new R1300 engine which is expected in for 24 model year (at least in GS models, but seemingly also in the RT according to some), but I figure getting the now proven 1250 shiftcam engine with a few years of real world development testing is a good choice. I had been hoping for a 100 year version of the RT, but opted for the 719 in lieu of that.

I like nice round numbers.

I am waiting for the R2000 GS. :rolleyes

You know, if the latest is the greatest, I would have sold my R80 G/S PD and R100 GS ages ago; sorry, they are not for sale. There isn't a single thing my R1200 GSA LC or my R1150 GSA does better than my old airheads. They all carry the same amount of luggage, they all cruise at about 70 MPH, they all pass cars without issues. What, acceleration? If I wanted acceleration and top speed I would buy a Kawasaki H2R.

Yup I know, I am an advertizing execs worst nightmare. :stick

Last edited:
Well, if a new r1300gs is coming would think very recent buyers of a gs would feel bad not waiting a month or so for the reveal of the new gs line.

Sure! I bought "Bullwinkle", my R1150R new. And the next year my good friend Chuck Wetzel bought an R1200R. I rode it. It made my R1150 seem like a plump pig. I did like my 1150 and did ride it for 189,000 miles, but on several occasions I did wish I had waited another year to buy a roadster. I was desperate though because I needed to get off my K1100LT which was roasting me in the summer heat of the southern Great Plains (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, etc.).

“… I did like my 1150 and did ride it for 189,000 miles…”
Thinking you got your monies worth out of that ride :)
Back in the day had a K75T (just a windscreen), had to put some thick rubber backed material on each side just under the tank to kick off the darn heat coming up from that area.

Like other poster, I can see an advantage of wanting to buy what has been out for a few years. Luckly, due to cost even at used price I may skep the used 2022 r1250rt 719 bike for sale since I really want to see ‘what is next’ for BMWs 100th.

Back in the day had a K75T (just a windscreen), had to put some thick rubber backed material on each side just under the tank to kick off the darn heat coming up from that area.

That is interesting. I put 379,000 miles on Old Smokey, my '86 K75T and never felt the heat like from the LT. I still ride a '94 K75 standard and don't mind the heat. But my K75RT(P) is too hot above about 85 degrees ambient temperature.

I remember reading about Iron Butt Frank who put on some 375,000 kms (233,000 miles) on his K100 in three years.

He might have used SPF 100 on his legs. :D

I'm in but only if it has reverse !!! LOL
Indeed that would be a change to have reserve on a wethead boxer bike. Maybe we call the new all water cooled engine 'wetblock' :)
I have yet put my new battery in my old 05 r1200rt and still need to get the powered windscreen metal bracket replaced one day. Is a good old bike just not ridden in a long time. Very slight chance I will demo ride a used 22 r1250rt and even slighter that I would trade in a 2019 goldwing tour dct airbag on it.

Just have not fallen in love with wing for some reason plus the dct does make it a different motorcycle...some good some bad points.

Back