• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New R1300 GS coming?

Not sure why we need a 1300 when a 1250 is still so new and having plenty of tethering problems.

I guess the way to get on top of the HP game with the Pan American?

An M version was talked about a few months ago, with 1300 cc designation. Whether it's a true 1300 cc or not that remains to be seen.
I would expect full watercooled vs partial in the current 1250.

Not sure why we need a 1300 when a 1250 is still so new and having plenty of tethering problems.

I guess the way to get on top of the HP game with the Pan America, Ducati and KTM?

Fixed that for ya! :ha

As I mentioned in my History of ADVriding seminar at the Rally yesterday, man would I like to see BMW come out with a bike like the original G/S… with modern emission technology, premium suspension, and 425 lb. weight.

Not interested in the HP wars at all, but I guess the target market is. :dunno

I bet 85% of the bikes at the rally were GS, and 95% of those were spotlessly clean! :D

Why not skip the usual insignificant 50cc increases and just put the R18 motor in a GS chassis?
Plenty of low rpm torque for off-roading! An R18GSA would certainly be impressive!
It would still be 500cc smaller than a Truimph Rocket 3.

Fixed that for ya! :ha

As I mentioned in my History of ADVriding seminar at the Rally yesterday, man would I like to see BMW come out with a bike like the original G/S… with modern emission technology, premium suspension, and 425 lb. weight.

Not interested in the HP wars at all, but I guess the target market is. :dunno

I bet 85% of the bikes at the rally were GS, and 95% of those were spotlessly clean! :D

There were a lot of clean GSs there.
I did around 110 miles of dirt roads on my way out there from South Carolina and was glad that the Rally's wash area was set up. I then had a clean bike for the Rally too!
But yes, many sported road tires.

If you get a chance to ride it, the Ashton-Flagg Ranch Road in the Grand Tetons is a nice dirt ride with great views. With tens of thousands of cars in Grand Tetons and another tens of thousands in Yellowstone, I only passed 9 gas powered vehicles and 2 mule drawn wagons on this 43 mile dirt road on the edge of both parks.

I do wonder were the HP wars/pissing contest will end. How much is really necessary, and how much is just for marketing?

Lee is close but not entirely accurate . The new GS will come out as a 2014 model. But it will have 166 horse power and weigh in at 506 lbs.With both cams having shift cam tech.

Requests?

As long as we are coming up with imaginary bikes, how about a new light weight HP2 using the shift cam 1250 motor? I've thrown tons of money at my 850GSA trying to make it something its not and now I'm leaning towards a husky 701 for a TAT run.

Pffffftt..Y’all got it wrong. The next GSA will have the R18 engine… I’m holding out for that one…..:lurk

:hide

I don’t believe the R18 is selling well as a cruiser, at least it’s not around here.
It’s a lot cheaper to try that engine in other platforms than scrap it altogether.
Who knows, it might actually be popular as a GSA ...

Lots of people thought the original R80 GS was too big to be a “dirt bike”, and we know how that worked out.
In reality most GS’s are used as commuters or touring bikes, but are still lighter than a Goldwing.
Time will tell ...

Never understood the need for an oiler for modern o-ring chains…..

From Revzilla-

When it comes to the best way to lube a motorcycle chain, there are a few differences between plain and sealed chains that you want to keep in mind. With plain chains, slather on the lube and wipe off the excess. Keeping a plain chain continually coated in clean lubricant is the best way to ensure that it continues to function properly for many miles to come. With sealed chains, on the other hand, the grease inside the O-rings does the job of lubricating and the chain lubricant you apply is just for protecting the outside of the chain from rust, so you can use it more sparingly.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-clean-and-lube-a-motorcycle-chain

About a half a century of running (mostly) chain drive motorcycles has resulted in believing in modern o-ring chains….and they keep getting better and better. I do remember size 35 chain on mini-bikes getting too hot to touch as they locked up :eek

Pretty sure that with basic care, a modern o-ring chain will get an owner 20K miles of trouble free operation.

Also coincidentally, the products and procedures explained by Revzilla is what I have ended up using for years.

No need to fear chains. They are beefy and can take a lot of abuse and neglect and still work fine.

Just my view.

OM

I just dont get it?

They have proven they can make any size boxer motor they want so give us our light weight boxer!

450 lbs or less, with a pretty square motor like 90HP 90TQ, it can have just plain Jane everything, just put it on a diet. I really dont need or want most of the new driver aids they have, and I do not need Drive Modes, or push button shocks.

https://www.scottoiler.com/us/

with very little experience (actually none), having never ridden a 1200 or 1250 GS, nor any motorcycle with drive modes and high tech stuff, I think this is exactly how i feel about it.

the most modern motorcycle I have ever ridden is my '84 R80ST.

Am I just being a curmudgeon with no real life experience to go by?

SPP

Back