• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 R80RT center stand very difficult to use

My center stand is very difficult to put the bike up and even more difficult to push off. Both wheels are still on the ground, like a ride off stand. Is the stand gong to far forward? I have removed and cleaned and lubricated with grease. Any suggestions?
Jim

Jim -

Has it always been this way? Do you have a picture from the side showing the bike on the stand? Is it possible that a previous owner installed the wrong stand?

You say "like a ride off stand" which assumes that it is not a purpose-built ride off but rather the original center stand. If it's the original stand, normally the front wheel would be off the ground a couple of inches...in those cases you would rock the bike forward with a little push and the bike would come off the stand.

It does sound like your original stand has worn down the stops which allows the bike to settle down lower, thus requiring you to lift the bike up and over the pivot points.

What Kurt says

I have to agree with Kurt on a lot of things here.

Is this the original stand? If so, something has worn out or bent.

If it is not the original stand, it is perhaps a ride off stand and there is some wear in the business and stand making it difficult to push or ride off. If it is an incorrect stand for the bike, that won't help either.

How about a couple of good pictures, they help a lot.

The original stands were a bit difficult to get the bike up onto and off of. A lot of guys like me ditched them for Reynolds ride off stands. As Kurt says, the original stands allow one wheel to be completely off the ground. The ride off stands kept both wheels on the ground and combined with the stand made for a more stable set up. There is far less chance of the bike falling over from sinking into pavement, grass or such. St.

Another question, does your bike have the original rear suspension? If it’s aftermarket, it may have more travel pushing the rear of the bike lower, but that would have made it easier to get on and off of the centerstand. I agree with the worn parts theory.

lugs

The center stand mounting lugs on the frame for the 83 year bikes are far more sturdy than the pre either 80 or 81 bikes. I doubt there is a problem there with bent lugs on the frame. Regardless, it could be a possibility if slim. I only say this because my 78 RS had the stand mounts on the frame bent and it made the bike a pain to get onto the stand. St.

Thanks all,. I am the 4th owner and the original owns passed away sometime ago I will try and find out if the center stand is original or not. I will also get a couple of pictures loaded tomorrow. The centerstand was not high on my list of things to do, maintain or fix before now. I could always use the side stand which is a Brown..looks like the center stand has rotated to far and now I have to lift the bike again to lower it. There are after market shocks (Ikon) and this maybe long resting the real tire on the floor. In the end I would like to put a ride off stand on it. I have two older ones to make work, but for now I would like to get the stock one working.

Ride off

It is too bad Reynolds went out of business, of course, the airhead market kind of went out so there you go. Still it would be nice to get a new ride off stand to replace worn ones or such. They do show up for sale but are like hen's teeth.

Another thought about your problem is it may be the center stand you are having problems with is a ride off stand but is the wrong one for the bike. Some of the ride off stands had a three digit number stamped on them near the pivot holes. This number was listed in the company's brochure for fitment. Several sources exist on line if you do an internet search, most likely Kurt will know a source as well.

So, you may have a worn out original stand, bent or damaged frame lugs, a ride off stand that is worn, or the wrong ride off stand. LOL, not much help am I? St.

The center stands on airhead boxers, whether they are aftermarket roll off type or stock, were always difficult if you don't know the proper technique. You really need to pull the bike backwards with the handle just under the rider seat when the center stand is in contact with the ground. Early K-Bike had a flip out handle I think. When the Oilhead boxers and newer K-Bikes came out, they were fitted with more conventional center stands like Japanese bikes where you use your body weight to lift the bike up by stepping down on the center stand tang. All modern BMWs have "conventional" center stands. Hope this helps.

Centerstands on the '83 and '84 era bikes have always been a pain. Others too! Voni's '83 R80ST had a stand that had curved legs but extended too far forward when deployed. On a smooth garage floor if we pushed that bike to get it off the centerstand it just slid on the floor. On groomed concrete or in gravel with a lot of effort it would go up and over and off the center stand. We had the exact same issue with a '79 R65.

I think they were just built that way - why I can't explain but in both of those cases the stops were not worn and neither were the pivot bolts or bushings.

And yes, those stands would push the rear of the bikes up and when past vertical the stand would allow the rear to lower a little putting the rear tire on or nearly on the ground.

Last edited:
Tom Cutter wrote that the '81-84 designs were bad. He indicated that the pivot points were lowered in '81-82 and there was an upgrade in following years but that is NLA.

Pictures

The fellow with the problem has sent me some pictures of the problem stand, he was unable to down load them to the forum. I will see if I can do it. I question if the bushings are worn out causing the problems.

I agree the stock stands are a pain to use hence, I went with ride off stands. Despite that, I don't see why the stock stand is not working properly for this fellow's bike. St.

The fellow with the problem has sent me some pictures of the problem stand, he was unable to down load them to the forum. I will see if I can do it. I question if the bushings are worn out causing the problems.

I agree the stock stands are a pain to use hence, I went with ride off stands. Despite that, I don't see why the stock stand is not working properly for this fellow's bike. St.

I saw the photos and this stand looks like the one we had on Voni's R80ST. It is a horrible design. It simply goes way to far over center.

83 RS stand

My friend took this picture of an 83RS he has on his bench today. A vastly different system for mounting the spring. Could this be the problem, wrong spring system? I mean the bike in question is sitting with both wheels on the ground, I never saw a normal center stand sit like that.

Makes me wonder if the previous owner installed the wrong stand or spring system. I guess I will spend a little time on the parts fiche to see if something is missing or not. St.

1790.jpeg

Possible?

So, I looked up the microfiche for the 83 bikes and unless I am mistaken, the bike in question is missing part 17 and has the wrong springs attached. The owner of the bike also said one of the top holes of the stand is egg shaped.

So, would I be far off the mark in saying the problem may well be due to improper and missing parts and an egg shaped hole? Anyway, that is my theory. St.

B0003879.png

Last edited:
Your stand (photo) is stock, but is worn to the point that the bike is overcentering. In original configuration the front tire would have been 5-6 inches off the ground. This happened to my '84 RS after 20+ years and I was unable to fix it, so I got rid of the bike. (!!) It can probably be fixed with some welding.

I'm of the opinion that the '81-'84 frame tabs were lots weaker than earlier models. In any event, you'll just bend them with a ride-off stand.

At some point prior to the '81-'84 years owners manuals contained centerstand instructions ... BMW's expectation was that the bike was always taken off the centerstand with the rider standing alongside. (Hardly anybody does this of course, but also of course fitting a ride-off stand is the polar opposite.)

BMW finally got over their weight fetish and began fitting stronger centerstands, approving rear top boxes, etc.

For some reason

For some reason the picture I posted did not show up, must have forgotten to push the right button. Anyway, it is now there showing the stock stand as well as parts and springs.

I really think the previous owner left out number 17 parts and used the improper springs. If things are not put together with the right parts in place, they won't always work. Sometime things can be cobbled to work and sometimes not. St.

Seems to me that the springs are only a part of the system to raise/hold the stand into the stowed position. I can't see how the springs are strong enough to keep the bike from rotating on the stand.

I agree

I can't argue that the springs alone are the problem here. So far, it is the cheapest way to go for a fix, two brackets and two springs. Like I said, if things are not put together the way they are supposed to be, how can it be expected to work the way it supposed to.

There is of course the possibility the Previous owner installed the wrong stand altogether. Sadly I don't remember BMW stamping part numbers on the stands and even Reynolds didn't consistently mark their stands either. If the new springs and brackets don't work, at least the glaring difference is taken care of. Unless someone can measure out a stock 83 center stand in detail or supply one to Jim so he can compare side by side, there is not much else to do.

I am not a design engineer so I am afraid I can't say exactly why I feel the wrong springs and such would cause the problem. Perhaps the stronger stock springs keep the stand from over traveling?

Jim has ordered parts and has the means to do the work, time will tell what the solution is or isn't. It is nice to see people replying and trying to help, one of the great things about this forum. St.

Back