• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100 LT seat hinge issue.

eastbay

The forward pin on my bike broke off ,this is the forward pin that is attached to the frame. I’m not sure if this is something the previous owner fabricated or is the stock part but it looks a little buggered up. I don’t see this part on any of that the parts catalogs. The contact area where the pin broke off this little plate is very small I doubt if it can get welded back on. My question is is this a stock part that’s available or something I’m gonna have to fabricate somehow.
BC181711-6F6E-4464-B3C0-687EB40B110C.jpeg
76F5F499-89A5-476B-A1C6-96E188B95959.jpeg

JB Weld? Maybe with a little extra metal strip(s) added to form a "lap" joint (instead of a butt joint).

Looks like it’s held by the shock bolt?
Once removed it’s an easy fix with a mig welder.
I have always thought of J B Weld as a “patch” not a “connection”.

You may be able to “whittle” one out of a piece of angle iron.

OM

Caution tip to weld

Welding a fabricated piece is your best bet. Make sure you disconnect the battery and completely remove the ECU before you weld on the frame. You may also consider placing a wet towel over your gas tank and rear seat cowl to protect paint and from sparks lighting up gas fumes.

Back