• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

open face Helmet with a bar

Hi,
I would like an open face helmet, but with a metal bar across the chin, kinda like a football helmet.
I do have a full face helmet, but I really don't like the lack of peripheral vision in traffic, and I'm sure I wouldn't want to face-plant in a crash with a open face helmet.

I would buy one in a flash, but my guess the DOT standards would never allow it.

any thoughts?

I use a modular style helmet. I like the versatility.
One of the moderators will move this thread to the Gear section later on.
Good luck.
OM

Hi,

I do have a full face helmet, but I really don't like the lack of peripheral vision in traffic, and I'm sure I wouldn't want to face-plant in a crash with a open face helmet.

Not sure a 3/4 helmet will give you better peripheral vision.
I would shop for a full face or modular with the widest opening.

Found this statement on the internet.

There's no doubt that if you have ridden years without a helmet and suddenly switch to a full-face helmet, you'd likely feel like your vision was hindered. However, at the same time, all DOT-compliant helmets are required to provide at least 210-degree vision, which is a large enough angle to see nearly anything coming your way.

Your peripheral vision is roughly 180 degrees, which means a helmet is likely not going to affect your vision while riding. Instead, it just takes time getting used to having something on your coconut.

Nolan made a helmet with a removable bar to make it a 3/4. I bought one and enjoyed the view. I later replaced it with a modular which works better for me although the Nolan had a better field of view.

Doug

I'd buy one too. Having ridden with an open faced helmet for a decade or more, and recently going back to a full face one, I really miss being able to see everything in front of me. The full face one is just so heavy, hot, and I can't even see my jacket's zippers while wearing it.

I'd buy one too. Having ridden with an open faced helmet for a decade or more, and recently going back to a full face one, I really miss being able to see everything in front of me. The full face one is just so heavy, hot, and I can't even see my jacket's zippers while wearing it.

Modular!!

Nolan made a helmet with a removable bar to make it a 3/4. I bought one and enjoyed the view. I later replaced it with a modular which works better for me although the Nolan had a better field of view.

Doug

:thumb On my third Nolan.

I too recommend modular. I wear Schuberth. Coming from skiing and goggles I have always been very cognizant of peripheral vision and I find my helmets are fine. I agree it's probably just getting used to that much material around your face.

If I put my helmet on I am unable to see any portion of the helmet except a very vague glimpse above my eyes. Which is to say that modern helmets do not block normal peripheral vision. Some very early Bell brand helmets did but it has been 40 years since I had a helmet that I could see the edge of when worn.

In human vision, the field of view is composed of two monocular FOVs which our brains stitch together to form one binocular FOV. Individually, our eyes have a horizontal FOV of about 135 degrees and a vertical FOV of just over 180 degrees. ... These measurements are based on the FOV during steady fixation of the eyes.

When I have my eyes relocated to my chin I'll wear an open face helmet. Until then it's a full face Arai for me. I am, however, considering a modular - my wife loves her Neotec-2 - as my next helmet.

I’ve been wearing a Sena “Outrush” helmet. It’s a nicely finished modular, with drop-down sunshield, Built -in Sena comms, bluetooth to phone, and fm stereo radio, all for $200 new MSRP. It’s a game changer. The Neotec hardly gets used anymore.

I’ve been wearing a Sena “Outrush” helmet. It’s a nicely finished modular, with drop-down sunshield, Built -in Sena comms, bluetooth to phone, and fm stereo radio, all for $200 new MSRP. It’s a game changer. The Neotec hardly gets used anymore.

I think that's the Sena I looked at recently just out of curiosity. I thought it was a great buy.
Nice look and feel and for me a good fit.
About the only thing I didn't like was the mic sticking in front of my mouth or chin.

Back